Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why is my Definity giving me the cold shoulder? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

teleone

IS-IT--Management
Jul 25, 2002
US
Hi Guys,

When I came in Monday, the computer I use to log CDR's had crashed. After a few hours of changing boards and some confusion (I recently stopped smoking) I got it back up.

Strangely, it still would not log the cdr traffic for me. I then discovered that I could not log on to the Definity using the terminal, the terminal works fine for the AUDIX. I got the lap top and tried the INADS port, no joy it just rings and never answers.

I have no way to communicate with the Definity. I have done a hard reboot , no change. I know that this a serious problem and mosty likely need a new board.

I guess I am looking for a few words of wisdom, and a clue to which board or boards are the culprit.

Thank in advance for you kind guidance.

teleone

I'd probably just go in and reset it some night by donig a hard power off and power back on..

BuckWeet

Thanks for the reply BuckWeet,

I have done a hard power down and power up, same results.

teleone

Is the system processing calls? What model/release is it? Without too much info, my first suspicion would be the processor board.

Sorry for the delay, I do appreciate the help.

I have a G3-si, I believe the release is 6. The processor is a TN 790. Everything seems to be working normally, but I can't log on to the PBX. No Big Deal unless something need s to be changed or there is a problem. I removed an reset the Processor Interface card too, same results.

Thanks again,

teleone

It very much sounds like processor problem. You should probably have the TN790 replaced before it causes an outage.

Hi,

is your System duplicated ?
have you tested a login over the INADS Modem ?
do you have a maintenance contract with AVAYA or a Business Partner ?
what program did you use to access the Definity System (DSA, ASA, Terranova .....)
what are the connection parameters set in your Admin Software ?

regards

oggi99

Take a look at the amphonal cable since the cdr output and terminal come on the same cable. If it seems to be plugged in properly try changing to another slot with the cable if you feel comfortable enough with doing it yourself. I've seen these cable go bad before.

Oggi99,

No my system is not duplicated. INADS never answers, just keeps ringing. No I do not have a contract with anyone. I am using the terminal for direct connect to Definity. Dial up to INADS with Hyper Terminal. I am capturing the CDR with ProComm Plus.

Phoneuser,

Three different pieces of equipment all working Saturday and not working Monday morning. They all attach with different cables and ports on the Definity. I have tried replacing the cables and using different computers too, No Joy.

SCHNED99,

I agree it is beginning to look a lot like a bad interface to the processor. Who can tell me if I can replace a TN 790 with a TN 790B.

Thanks for all of the excellent help people.

teleone

If a reset system 1 or a hard power cycle does not clear this then it is definitely a hardware issue with the processor.

If another power cycling is being done, reseat all the "control cards" in the system while the system is down and bring up and test again.

Netcon1

teleone,

You can't just swap any TN790 into your system. The processor has to have the correct software load to read the translations on your flash card. You might have to bite the bullet and bring in business partner to help you out with this. If you want, drop me an email at dschneider@getempire.com and I can hook you up with one of the account managers at the business parnter I work for and we can help you out with this.

Dave

Have you checked to make sure your inads line is correctly connected to the aux pack on the last pair of the block?

Have you also checked to make sure your terminal is connected on the "term" connector?

Someone kick it out by mistake?

I have seen the inads crap due to a bad proc, but hardly ever see the terminal die too without the system failing calls. I would really go over my connections again.

Ken

shoreline Communications

Hello;

My first question is how are you connecting to the Definity? Is it only by dial-up? direct connect via a SAT? or ASA/DSA? If it's dial-up then first varify the number and dial tone on the 25th pair of the aux block. If you have a SAT then make certain it is plugged into the SAT connection in the back of the Definity. You may also need to check the options of the SAT. Usually you can do CTRL plus F1 or F3 to access this function. If you are using ASA/DSA via a C-LAN first check the IP address and the port address (usually 5111 works or something within this range).

You mention your CDR PC crashing. Again what is the connection. I ask because if it is an "Administered Connection" then you will need to disable the connection (even if the Definity says it is enabled) and then re-enable it. The command will be ch ad 1 (you can do a list ad).

Hope this helps. If not email me directly and I'll call to discuss the problem in greater depth.

You cannot replace it with a TN790B Although u can replace it with another TN790 and it will work just fine. The software load is all on the flash card it just has to match up with the right processor vitage.

Actually, the software load is not on the flash card. It is stored on the processor board. That is why you can upgrade wsith a 48 MB Orange flash card. The offer code, RTU, and customer translation data only is stored on the flash card.

Hi,

I'm back, I've been a little distracted. I have verified that all of the cables are just fine. The INADS line is wired properly and it rings when the INADS number is dialed. I am running with the idea that I need a new TN 790.

Question.... Can I expect the system to boot and run with the new card ? I guess what I am really asking is if the firmware is preloaded or does it have to be loaded to a new card ?

My replacement card is due here Tuesday!!

Thanks again for the wisdom.

teleone

All of your translation e.g. Dial Plan, Station programming, Purchased Options are on the flash card. The firmware or Release is on the processor. Make sure if they replace the Processor that the firmare load is the same or higher than your current version. Usually a reset system 1, will fix a ring no answer INADS, it is unusal that all these events happened at once unless, when your PC "crashed" it sent stray voltage to your DCE port and into the switch. Have you tried logging in via the netcons.

ETAC,

No I have not tried to log on using the NETCON. I don't know how to do that. Please tell me more...

Thanks,

teleone

you will need to have a data module programmed as type netcon, giving it an extension number. You will also need to have a 7400 data module as type pdm giving it a port and extension number, I don't believe R6 supports 8400's. Attach a terminal to the 7400 and enter ATDTxxxx (the netcon extension number) and you should get a login prompt. This is a very brief and rough explaination so good luck with it. PS Are their any alarms associated with this problem.

ETAC,

The TN 790 is showing alarms galore. I can not log on to see what they are though. I will not be able to program anything until I can log on to the PBX again.

Thanks again,

teleone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back