Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why is MSHFlex Grid so popular

Status
Not open for further replies.

xinyin

Programmer
Jan 16, 2003
HK
Hi all,
I wonder why it seems like most of you prefer using MSHFlex grid than datagrid? I learn that MSHFlex Grid uses more memory than datagrid - when it starts it copies ALL data from the target recordset; while datagrid only copies some records that are currently required (thus datagrid also runs faster than MSHFlex Grid - the books said so).
Further more, once MSHFlex Grid has copied the data, its relationship with the recordset is over - any changes to the recordset will no longer be reflected on MSHFlex Grid, also you cannot do any changes to the data in MSHFlex; but there is no such problems for datagrid.

Personally speaking I have no preference either way. During prototyping for my current project, I discovered that only the MSHFlexGrid offered the data connectivity and the functionality the software required - so it wasn't a personal choice. I then made the decision to standardise on one type of grid to provide a consistent look and feel for the user interface.

As far as a preference on this forum for the one type of grid over the others, I can't comment except to be grateful for the useful additions to my code library in this instance [bigsmile].

TazUk

[pc] Blue-screening PCs since 1998

The name says it all... MSHFlexGrid. It is more flexible than the standard data grid.

One thing the mshflexgrid has that the datagrid doesn't is the ability to show data hierarchically.

show data hierarchically" - Do you mean it can open a sub-list of each item like Tree View?

>Do you mean

I suggest a quick look at the basic help files ...

<Do you mean it can open a sub-list of each item like Tree View?

I second strongm's suggestion. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back