Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why is buying a computer so confusing??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejaggers

Programmer
Feb 26, 2005
US
I have been looking to buy a new or used computer, but when I go on craigslist, best buy, etc. the only thing I get is confused. Technical specs and vender models mean absolutely nothing to me. Ads say things like, “It has a NVIDIA GeForce Go 8600M GT with 256MB GDDR3, or a PNY XLR8 8800GTX OVERCLOCKED EDITION, or ATI Radeon HD 4870”, which is totally meaningless to me. How do I prepare myself to choose a computer?

I have owned two computers, and when I bought them, I just got the most expensive one I could afford at the time. But that strategy won’t work now because prices range from $200 to $4000, and my budget is tight like everyone else. I must also add that, I keep a computer more than 10 years at a time. This one is so old, the memory is PC100, and the only reason I know this is because it originally came with MS ME and 128K ram. A friend installed XP years ago, and I added extra memory myself. See, that’s how old it is. I don’t remember this being so confusing back in the day. Can anyone help???

Your first option is not bad. However, I'd probably change the Vista Basic Os for something else.

Vista started out really badly. Just Like XP before it, it took a while for hardware manufacturers to start developing compatible drivers for it.

However XP was more bearable because it wasn't irritating to use. Vista on the other hand tried to be so user friendly it was excruciating. It changed the way many things operated before, making it difficult to pick up and start using if you came from other Windows based systems. It was basically very annoying. Something XP avoided.

Now Vista is starting to mature, and there's much more compatible hardware and software out there for it so its not as bad as it was before, however it still maintains one terrible flaw, its incredibly resource intensive.

If you can I'd suggest sticking with XP until Windows 7 is released.

I'm using the Win 7 beta right now, and I am very happy with it even though I'm running it on only 768 MB of RAM. Running it on 3 or 4GB should make it a breeze to work with.

It takes Vista and corrects many of the flaws and enhances many of the good points.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

ejaggers,

As far as buying on Craigs list - I (myself) would have no trouble with that because I troubleshoot and repair computers as part of my job, so I have the parts around and the background to fix most issues :)

Deals you posted are only ok, but who knows what you are getting and how it has been used and abused :)

Considering the amount of time you keep computers and that it can be almost $75-$100 just to have a tech look at the computer if you have any trouble. I would stick with a new or refurbished computer with a warranty!! I think some people have posted some good ideas and for $400 to $600 you can get a very good "new" system. If you want or think you need more cutting edge look at some of the ideas that were posted in the other post for a budget gaming system for about $1,000.

As far as XP or Vista, I am running both, at home and at work and I must say, as long as the machine is new and made for Vista, it really is not bad. And if you like the look and feel of XP, you can use "classic" mode and it looks and feels almost the same as XP.

I think my next computer will be 64 bit to take advantage of more DRAM and software that is sure to follow as 64 bit CPU's and 64 bit operating systems become more main line. Nothing that you really need to worry about, however you might want to do some reading for the future :)

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Three questions:
1) CiscoGuy33: - Your quote, "...but who knows what you are getting and how it has been used and abused." What do you mean by abused? How do you abuse a computer? I can see the keyboard, but a desktop just sits there.

2) vacunita: How do you add the "Quote" or "Code" section like did above?

3) When XP was installed on this box years ago, a copy of the XP install disk was put on my hard drive. I copied it to a CD because the original install CD is long gone. But I do know the key. I tried awhile back to make a bootable CD using the instructions on the BatrPE site but was not successful. I’ve only run the copied CD to repair and I have never installed from scratch. Does this CD have to be bootable to replace Vista with XP? In other words, can I use my copy of XP on my next computer or do I have to buy XP again?

ejaggers,

1. Computers have moving parts like optical drives and hard drives, which wear out over time. I avoid buying anything with moving parts used. With the price of PCs today, there's no reason to not buy new, except for the bloatware. Go to for a free application to remove the subsidized apps that slow down a new PC. Check out your local Best Buy or Fry's and you should be able to find a BRAND NEW box for under $400...but watch out for "Vista Basic". "Home Premium" is a minimum.

2. Click on the "Process TGML" link above the "Submit Post" button for a full list of TGML tags and how to use them.

3. OEM XP belongs to the machine it was installed on, and no others. It is forever tied to that box and should you try and install it on another PC it will not activate. If it's a brand-name like a Dell or HP you can REALLY forget it, as they pay a very low price for XP licenses, while there might be some leniency towards home-built PCs with OEM licenses. Retail licenses can move from machine to machine indefinitely, but on only one machine at a time.

Tony

Users helping Users...

ejaggers,

"1) CiscoGuy33: - Your quote, "...but who knows what you are getting and how it has been used and abused."

What do you mean by abused? How do you abuse a computer? I can see the keyboard, but a desktop just sits there."

AS wahnula said, computers have moving parts for 1 thing, then you have computers that have been exposed to heat, smoke, dust - I had a student bring in a computer he was having "heat" issues with - when I opened the computer it had so much dust, dog hair and smelled like a bad ash tray. The computer ran 24/7 in a warm part of the house to begin with - who knows how the "life" of some of those parts might have been "shortened".

Another thing is "poor electricity" minor surges, brownouts etc. might not totally "fry" a mother board or other circut board in a computer, but the damage can be done - making it more likly to fail in the future.

Like it has been said, when you can buy a brand new computer with at least a 1 year warranty for $400, why mess with "used" :)

2) vacunita: How do you add the "Quote" or "Code" section like did above?

To add a quote you use the
tags around any text you want to be quoted [/quote - I have left the ending " said:
" off the [quote=tags so that you can see the tags!!!

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda

CiscoGuy33 said:
I think my next computer will be 64 bit to take advantage of more DRAM and software that is sure to follow as 64 bit CPU's and 64 bit operating systems become more main line. Nothing that you really need to worry about...

Why do you say don't worry about this? Is it because of the price? Remember I keep a box forever, so seems like I should require my next one to be 64 bit. Is this incorrect?
If it is price, then you do have a very valid point, because I am trying my best to keep the price down, that's why I was considering used.

It's tough out there right now, people are loosing their jobs, and having to sell things. They need the money and I need the product, so I see it as win/win. But as you and wahnula have stated, I really don't want to buy someone's junk.

ejaggers,

"It's tough out there right now, people are loosing their jobs, and having to sell things. They need the money and I need the product, so I see it as win/win."

If and when the "used" computer has an issue ----- what is it going to cost to even have it looked at? Do you have a guy? Have you checked prices for repairs? HOWEVER, based on your experience and background AND the fact that you keep your computers so long it does not seem like a great idea.

But, it is your money whether it is for a new computer with a warranty or "who knows what" that you got a deal on from Craigs list and might have to troubleshoot or pay to have repaired.

And the fact that it is "tough out there" brings even more cons and scams out also, so it is NOT ALWAYS "win/win"!!!

As far as 64 bit - it is what is comming down the pipe but very little supports it right now ---- best thing to do is start to use "Google" and read and learn. There is ALWAYS something new comming!

Spend a day at Borders or Barnes and Noble - not buying, just reading, start with the computer mags and then look at the books, just read different topics. I am sure you will find books on buying computers, and understanding computers etc. Take some time and learn a little about what YOU might want.

All we can do is tell YOU what WE like or want or think YOU want :)

Hope this helps!!

E.A. Broda

ejaggers,

A couple thoughts:

1. For your purposes, I'm not sure why you don't just get a laptop. A laptop can do practically anything a desktop can do, and it's more convenient in that it's mobile. Also, laptop prices for your type usage aren't much different from desktop prices. If you can afford $600 to $700, you should be able to find a really nice laptop.

2. Windows Vista - My opinion is for people who are just doing basic computing tasks, if they get a new computer, Vista is actually very nice. I have it on a laptop and a desktop at home, and I've worked on it for others. After SP1(Service Pack 1) came out for it, it's been great! And performance is really a non-issue, especially with 2GB+ of Ram, and especially if you're not a demanding user - video editing, 3d graphics design, really high-end gaming.

3. RAM - memory is cheap these days. I agree with a post way back. If the system doesn't have at least 3GB (or really 2GB if it's cheap), then just walk away - it's a waste of time. 2GB Would actually be plenty, I think, for your type usage. And 2GB to 3GB difference is practically nill for you. And above 3GB, you're likely to not even see the RAM with a 32 bit OS.

4. For you, it is probably best to stay away from 64 bit OSes for now. They still have some bugginess, and you won't see enough benefit, I think, to go 64 bit. However, they have made great strides just very recently, so that it may be a different ballgame in just 6 months to a year, tops.

5. If you go laptop, I'd suggest stick to laptop. You can get a "netbook" that's being advertised a lot, but I don't think they're up to snuff. If the ONLY thing you ever did was check a little email, and browse the web - all light, I'd say then sure. But most people end up wanting to do something else, and as you said, you want it to last a long time.

6. As far as your computer lasting possibly 10 years, I'd say it'd be worth trying to find a desktop with a QuadCore (if you don't go laptop). Reason being that software will be better able to handle multiple cores of processors in just a couple years.

And other than that, I'm going to hush for now. [wink]

Don't forget to check eBay. You can find deals there with warranties as well. Just be careful, and read closely.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back