Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why is auto reply sending email to sender who did not email?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfinley

IS-IT--Management
Aug 5, 2002
US
I set up auto reply in Outlook 2000 and it works. The problem is I am getting complaints that it is sending auto reply to people who didn't even email them. Is there a way to track this problem? Thanks.

Are you getting any Spam email ?

If the spam email is being auto-replied to then most spam do have forged "from" addresses in the header. Could it be it's replying to those "forged" addresses ?

We do job posting in monster.com and other job websites. The autoresponse goes to legitimate users. At this point, someone must have send email to my email in order to trigger the autoresponse. It is possible that it is a forged email on the other end. Is there a way to track origin of the message?
What is a DL list?

A DL list stands for Distrubution List. This is a one email address that many individual mailboxes receive copies of. You could have a Sales DL with all sales people members of the group. It simplifies management, one email address many mailboxes.

All SMTP email has an internet header. But if it is forged this will be of little help as the email will have indeed come from the domain and server contained in the internet header. If your email address is being forged then the spammer would be using your servers to send out the email. To look at the header right click on the email and select properties.

Aye, if you right click on the email the person received but said they did not request, then go to properties. If you copy and Paste the header here we could have a gander for you ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back