Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why I cannot open this file ? Please explain...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ylan

Technical User
Sep 25, 2002
CA
When I run a small patch ( extention .exe) in my PC ( WinXP Pro SP2) , I got this massage: "Windows cannot access the specified device,path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item" How can I change the access protocol and run this patch . Please explain & advise . Thanks...

Are you logged in as an administrator when trying to run the patch?

Computers are like bikinis. They save people a lot of guesswork.
-Sam Ewing-

1. Right-click the .exe file
2. Select 'Run As..'
3. Click the Following User radio button.
4. Select Administrator and enter your password.

HTH.

Shaun (A+, N+)

I have some garbage named files & folders that showed up in one of my other folders. they have names that look like garbage also with all kinds of weird characters. i can't open the files, they are empty od look like object code. my security, virus checkers, etc do not say anything about them. i can't delete them.

i have had this type of problem in the past and had trouble getting rid of them then.

does anyone know of a "force delete" type of program.

I teach a lot of programming so I can learn. You can never learn it all.

Hi,
When to examine the properties of those items, what does it say about ownership,security,name,version, etc.?

What happens when you try to delete them?

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

You can try this method:

Note file or folder to delete.

Open the command window, then close Explorer:

Task Manager>Processes>explorer.exe <End Process>

See command prompt help for "DEL" and "RMDIR". Most of the time "Del" will work, but with very long file names it fails to find those files. Removing the entire folder/directory with "RMDIR" did however work!

TomCologne

**TaffyRed:

_ Thanks... I followed your tips to the letter (open as an administrator ) , nothing changed ! I still have the same error message ?

Another problem : I can copy this patch but cannot paste it into another folder ! (Error Message: "Cannot copy file: Access is denied. Make sure the disc is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use "

Please advise . Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back