Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why I am getting the errors below while trying to add a new email account to Outlook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

montypython1

Technical User
Jan 12, 2005
US
Greetings,

Does anyone know why I am getting the errors below while trying to add a new email account to Outlook 2007 on my Windows 8 laptop?

I need to re-add a "live.com" account which WAS previously working in Outlook on the same computer. I decided to delete and re-add this account, in an attempt to fix an error saying the server's credentials were incorrect. As a precaution, I wrote down all the settings, then deleted the account, then re-added the account. Now it generates the following errors and will not let me add this account. I started with my original settings (which previously worked), then kept changing things to try to get it to work, as follows:

#1 Original settings (which previously worked):
Settings: incoming port=995 no SSL / outgoing port=587 TLS encrypt / SPA=NO / Outgoing server (SMTP) reqs auth=NO:
Error message #1: Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
Error message #2: Send test e-mail message: Cannot send the message. Verify the e-mail address in your account properties. The server responded: 530 5.7.0 Requested action aborted; user not authenticated

#2 Original settings modified:
Settings: incoming port=995 no SSL / 587 TLS encrypt / SPA=NO / Outgoing server (SMTP) reqs auth=YES:
Error message #1: Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

#3 Original settings modified:
Settings: incoming port=995 no SSL / 587 TLS encrypt / SPA=YES / Outgoing server (SMTP) reqs auth=YES:

#4 Automatic settings using Outlook's wizard:
Settings: incoming port=110 no SSL / 25 no encrypt / SPA=NO / Outgoing server (SMTP) reqs auth=NO:
Error message #1: Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): Outlook cannot connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
Error message #2: Send test e-mail message: Cannot send the message. Verify the e-mail address in your account properties. The server responded: 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first

If I log directly into " (rather than using Outlook), I have no problem logging into my account. This confirms that my password is correct when entering it in Outlook above.

Does anyone know why I am getting the errors above?

Thanks,
Dave

Hi Zelgar,

Thanks for the link. After reviewing the info, it appears that I have all the same specs as recommended:
incoming port=995 no SSL / 587 encrypt=AUTO / SPA=NO / Outgoing server (SMTP) reqs auth=YES:​
except for:
"Encryption = AUTO"​
After making the change, I still receive the error:
Error message: Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).​

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back