Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why don't my links work? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 20, 1999
ES
I often receive e-mails containing links to web sites within the text. They show up in blue, underscored text. But when I type a link it just appears as normal text and doesn't work as a link. Any help would be much appreciated.
John Connolly

The text itself is not a link but when you hit "Send" then the mail program you are using will convert it to a hyperlink. Try sending a test message to yourself with URL in the message body. When you receive the test message, the URL should be a hyperlink. Let me know if this doesn't work.

Hi, I've tried that and it doesn't work - the incoming e-mail just shows the URL in black
and clicking it does nothing. By the way, I'm using Netscape 4.6.

Hmmm, weird. I'm going to assume that you typed in the full url i.e. What do you have selected under Edit -> Preferences -> Mail and Newsgroups -> Messages? And what do you have selected for Edit -> Preferences -> Mail and Newsgroups -> Formatting? This might shed some light for me. If you want to send me screen shots my email is carolyn.casey@wpni.com.

Hi, here's the info:

Nothing selected except "Send messages that use 8-bit characters: As is..."

Formatting

"Message formatting: Use the plain text editor to compose messages"
"When sending HTML...: Ask me what to do..."

Hi again, I should have read your post more carefully! I just tried it with the " in front and it worked fine. What I don't understand now is how other people send me URL's without the " Anyway, thanks for your help, John

Hi John, I'm glad I could help. If you want to send a link with just you can still do that too. In Messenger, hit New Message. In your new message window go to Insert -> Link. This will bring up a box that will let you type in the text you want to view in the email and then another box for the full URL. If you ask me, that is going to too much trouble just for a link, but at least now you have the option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back