Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WHY DON'T i HAVE A BOOT.INI FILE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARCITS

Programmer
Apr 4, 2002
GB
I have windows 2000 Professional installed on my PC.
Because of set up problems the PC thinks it is a dual boot PC. At startup it shows the dual boot screen. The first option is Windows 2000 Professional which is the version I am running from the WIN2K folder. The second option is an aborted setup installed in the WINNT folder. I am tryiong to get at the boot.ini file to prevent the dual boot screen but cannot seem to find it in the C:\. Also can I safely delete the WINNT folder follwing amendment of the bootup file?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

The boot.ini probably has the hidden attribute set but you should still be able to see its' contents by dropping down to the C:\ prompt and executing a "type boot.ini".

If you have a question about whether something is safe to delete, I always try to rename files or folders and run with it for a while to see if anything pukes. If things go well, delete it.

Assuming you named your root folder something other than WINNT this time around Yes you may delete that folder. From advanced recovery under manager in Win2K you can set it to boot to the desired OS with a 1 second deley. Start-Up and Recovery section I believe. The boot can be fixed to remove the extra entry when you are done by FIXBOOT ran from the CD using the repair feature. This is all tricky stuff and an entry in these files changed can really mess things up for NT since this information is in a seperate NT boot section of the harddrive. Ultra-Tek has directions to do anything you want to do in this catagory but off hand I cannot recall his site URL. I will try getting that info and come back in a few minutes with it OK!

Terry

Cheers chaps!
I have manually edited the boot.ini file to remove the second option.
URL would be useful though Terry.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back