Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why does the print notification go to the wrong user?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pizzamaka

Technical User
Jan 26, 2002
DE
Strange thing:

I have a server running Windows 2000 Prfessional (not server) for printing and routing the internet connection. I turned on Printer notification and wondered why I never got a message when printing from another computer (Win XP prof). The I found out why: When I start a printjob and I look at the printing queue an the server it says that the owner of this Printjob is "Admin" which is the user currently logged on to the Server.

So, my question now is:
Why does Windows 2k not recognize who started the print job? Could it be that I need to use Windows server or how can I work around this Problem? I already tried to create a user with the same name as the one logged on to the other machine, but that didn't help...

The print notification comes to only Administrator or users who has Administrator equivalent rights.

So I need to create a User with the same name as the one logged in on the XP computer with admin rights?

The printer isn't attached to a real server, just another PC with printer sharing enabled, correct? If so, then (my best guess is) the notification is being sent to the computer that initiated the actual print queue, which is the PC that is sharing the printer, not the PC that submitted the request for print.

WW

Yes, you are right. So, do I need to install the Server version of Windows 2k in order to make the printer notification work the way it should?

Thanks for the replies, but up to now I still don't really know what to do to make it work... Could anybody help me a little further?

AFAIK and can tell from MS Product Support and their knowledge base, remote printer notifications are only available from a true server, e.g., Win2K Server, not Win2KPro.

WW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back