Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why does the Import Wizard ignore changes to my data but not tell me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tetsuo2030

Programmer
Sep 9, 2011
US
I have a pre-formatted Excel Spreadsheet. I created a map in MS Project called "Map_test", set the merge key to a specific field and open the file. It seems that some of my data comes over, but when Project finds a piece of data it doesn't like, it ignores the whole line.

I see the reason for one field: it's a lookup field in Project and the value in the Excel spreadsheet isn't in the list. But Project doesn't tell me it's ignoring the line while it accepts others...so I never know--without doing a physical comparison--what Project took and what it refused.

So, ultimately, I want to set up some sort of error trapping or conditional formatting or something that says "Hey, Project isn't accepting this line." If I need to do it through VBA/macros and call the macro from Excel or Access or whatever, that's fine.

That being said, is my method for getting the Excel data into Project (File-->Open or VBA's FileOpenEx) not the way to go if I want to perform data validation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back