Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why does "sum" not appear in summary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paryl

IS-IT--Management
Jul 24, 2001
US
I'm trying to get a sum on a column in each group. I right-click one of the fields, Insert -> Summary, and I have the following choices:

maximum
minimum
count
distinct count
Nth Largest
Nth Smallest
mode
Nth most frequent

But no "sum". This makes no sense! The data is direct from an ODBC datasource, and I can run formulas on it. I just need it to give the the sum of the column within each group.

Subtotal, in the insert menu, is greyed out.

Any pointers? I'm using Crystal Reports 8.5.

Thanks!

The field is probably not a numeric. What data type is it within CR? See the FAQ on data types if you don't know what I mean, or how to check. Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting
Quick Reference Guide to using Crystal in VB

Is the field already a Sum() from the SQL or recordset? If so, Crystal won't let you sum a summed field. Brian J. Alves
Email: brian.alves@worldnet.att.net
VB / ASP / Crystal / SQLServer

Aha! I'm pulling the data directly from a live database, and I'm assuming it must have been a strange data type. I used CCur() and now sum works. I must admit that I'm not sure how to check the data type though. Where's the FAQ you spoke of?

Sorry. I'm an idiot. :) I found the million FAQ's. Thanks for the direction Ken!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back