Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why does my server ignore me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

liljoeyjordison

Technical User
Feb 27, 2005
GB
My server and everything on it (email account) just ignores me!

It started with a server crash caused by a corrupt php file. Now the server is up and running normally.

Everyone can point their browsers to the correct page without getting error messages... except me.

People who have POP3 mail accounts can read/send mail just as normal... except me.

People who have ftp accounts can down/upload stuff.. I CAN'T!!!

Because it ignores everything in my home network I think it might have something to do with my router's external IP address. Does anyone know what I can do?

That sounds bad.. contact a local admin to check your machine.

. Mac for productivity
.. Linux for developement
... Windows for solitaire

The server host type guy said the best thing to do is to wait till next month (fortunately only one day away, with time zone differences accounted for) and see if it was a bandwidth issue. Or it might be a problem that resolves itself when the server reconfigures itself while resetting the bandwidth profiles. *crosses fingers*

Yeah, I'll be getting a new domain reasonably soon anyways. I'll get hosting too. Because after numerous crashes downtimes and now this, im getting rather sick of it!

It turns out that the problem lies with my ISP, I have tried contacting BT's help serivces, but that didn't seem to help much.

When I use a dial-up connection (from a different ISP) I can view the page. However when I move onto my BB and LAN connections, nothing works.

I tried PINGing the server from the command prompt on my PC,
[tt]
C:\Documents...> PING kobrakai.net

Pinging kobrakai.net [66.90.67.195] with 32 bytes of data

Request timed out
Request timed out
Request timed out
Request timed out

Ping statistics for 66.90.67.195:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)
[/tt]
That suggests to me that the problem is not with my software, although I may be wrong.

Yeah works fine, fo' example:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents...>ping google.com

Pinging google.com [216.239.57.99] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 216.239.57.99: bytes=32 time=180ms TTL=229
Reply from 216.239.57.99: bytes=32 time=181ms TTL=229

Ping statistics for 216.239.57.99:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 180ms, Maximum = 181ms, Average = 180ms

Ping reply is generaly blocked by any worthy service provider. I would suggest telnet to see if you can connect to the specific port.
telnet "domain name dot com 80" for web. also try by IP Address. "telnet IP Address 80"

nah

C:\Documents...>telnet "kobrakai.net 80"
Connecting To kobrakai.net...Could not open connection to the host, on port 80:
Connect failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back