Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why does my server freeze? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

williamlove

Programmer
Dec 7, 2007
US
We have an older Windows 2000 Server that freezes occasionally, and it seems to be getting worse. When it freezes Ctrl-Alt-Del does not work. It has to be power cycled.

When the computer sits unused it does not seem to occur. Moderate use as a File and Print Server sometimes causes the freeze. But when it is really hard at work (e.g. a virus scan) it is increasingly likely to freeze up. I do not get a blue screen or errors. I cannot find anything revealing in the event logs. It just suddenly dies and has to be unplugged to restart it.

I installed a utility for routine maintenance like cleaning the registry, and I installed service pack four. But this did not change anything.

What is likely the underlying problem?

The most likely cause is heat, according to the symptoms. If the CPU and/or system temperatures are over 65 C and 40 C, respectively, then make sure all fans are running, clean any dust built up on the fans, heatsinks, and inside the case and on its vents, and make sure all case vents are unobstructed and the machine is not in an enclosed space.
If no luck, then remove the computer's cover, and run an external fan. If that works and the CPU temp was high, then remove its heatsink, clean the thermal compound from the heatsink and CPU die, and apply new compound(Arctic Silver is recommended). If the system temp was high, then install either more or higher capacity case fans.

First, look in the EventLog for Applications and System. See if there's any errors that coincide with the lockups.

I agree with ski, the problem most likely is heat. Another possibility is PSU, get a PSU checker or, if the BIOS has the option, check the CPU temp and PSU output. SpeedFan is a good, free utility, that analyzes the system's temps and voltages.

Tony

"Buy what you like, or you'll be forced to like what you buy"...me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back