Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why does My modem interfere with my sister's computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

alisae

Technical User
Feb 24, 2002
CA
Hello. I have an HP6630 with softk56 pci modem version 2.11.06 The original version was 2.08 which has been upgraded. I had a speed of 44,000 bps all this time. I installed Quicktime 5.0 and uninstalled it. It has been two years now and I haven't solved this problem. I have noticed that when my sister's computer is on, my modem speed goes up to 44,000bps Right now it is 3879919 bytes received, 269748 with a speed of 37333bps. On her computer her push button fold out phone is plugged into her computer, with the modem plugged in also. The downstairs phone has an answering maching plugged in. I am sorry this is a long post. Does anyone have any solutions?

Thank you
Alisa
alisae@idirect.com

I am just guessing here but maybe the juice/power supplied by your sister's computer is helping the grounding of the phone? Good grounding is always important.

- NOnoy

Hello NOnoy. I think you are right. It was the power plug to my sister's printer. After I unplugged it my speed went from 36000bps to 46667bps!!!!!!!I tried this yesterday before I even read your post. Thank you for your advice.

Alisa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back