Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why Does My Fan Keep Coming On?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ts8586

MIS
Nov 28, 2004
US
I have an HP P4 computer (with 1GB of RAM), and it seems like even when I'm not running a whole lot, the system fan kicks in, and things run slow when it's on.

I check Task Manager when it happens, and the processor isn't at 100%, which is where I thought it'd be. It hangs anywhere between 4%-15%, usually single digits. Did a defragment yesterday, and it didn't happen until now. When it usually happens, either IE7 is open (one window) or Windows Media Player... whatever the newest version is.

Anything else I should check? Thanks for reading!

It would be nice to know if it was your CPU fan or your power supply fan that is making the extra noise. I'm sure both are always running but what you hear is extra RPMs called for by the processor being busy or the power supply trying to cool itself down due to lots of activity.

Either way it's probably totally normal unless the extra activity is a virus or spyware that is making your system work hard.

Did it just start doing this or has it been doing this behavior all along? Any new software/hardware installed by you before you noticed.

Good point, G. I'll have to rip the cover off and wait and see what fan it is. No, no new software. I should've mentioned that. It's been doing it for a few months, but it's getting worse.

I'll have to do a spyware/virus check. I haven't done that lately.

probably due to dust build up, and thus the temperature rises higher than it should...

suggestion: clean out the dust with compressed air...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Laptop or desktop? Makes a difference... Ben and Goombawaho are right, it's trying to stay cool. But a desktop will pretty much always run, as opposed to a laptop which runs only when necessary to conserve power.

It's a desktop, and it could be the dust. I haven't cleaned the thing in a while. And I did a spyware check (Spy Sweeper) and it was pretty clean. Thanks for all the feedback.

I just had this exact problem with my wife's computer.

Even sitting idle, the fan would come on, run for about 20 seconds, then shut off. 20 seconds later, it would come back on.

I ended up pulling off the heat sink on the CPU, cleaning the old sink grease off of it, and putting a fresh layer on. Problem solved.

Just my 2¢
-Cole's Law: Shredded cabbage

--Greg

I will give that a shot too, Greg. Thanks!

suggestion: clean out the dust with compressed air...

Don't do this whilst it's running or at to close a distance!

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

Thanks Stu, I tend to forget that others are not as experienced in this as I am, and thus leave out the little tidbits here and there...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

P4's are notorious for running hot too...

As for the compressed air, DO NOT SHAKE it while using, and limit it to 1/2-second bursts. Some argue that you should jam the fans or hold them still to avoid them acting like little generators, but I've never had any problems...just take it easy.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Hi there
500 series P4's ran particularly hot and were notorious for reaching their temperature threshold and going into 'throttle back' mode.
To be honest, your best bet would be to fit a better after market cooler that doesn't have to work so hard to keep this CPU under it's threshold temps.
Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back