Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why does my computer use so much memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

alepine

Programmer
Feb 11, 2005
US
I am running WinXP SP2. When I leave my computer running for two or three days the memory usage builds up. After two days my memory is up to 1.8 GB. Is this normal for Windows XP or do I have a program running in the backround that does not clean up after itself?

This isn't "normal", somewhere there is a program not releasing the memory. Do a complete virus and spyware scan. How do you know the memory is going down? I notice on mine, after a few days my temp folders get real full and I have to reboot.

This is not normal. There are a few programs out there that have a memory management problem. These 'usually' get patched by the vendors, so it is always worthwhile checking at the support sites to see if they have released any patches.

Regards: tf1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back