Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why does my computer keep freezing when I play a game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaFliPaPiNoYbOyGaMeR

Technical User
Dec 28, 2001
US
Everytime I play a game called Diablo 2 my computer keeps freezing. I don't know why. The game doesn't even need good detail but it still freezes. Can anyone help me with this? Instant message me at DaFliPaPiNoYbOy8. Thanks

Are you formatted to NTFS?

And when you say IT freezes, are you only meaning the game or your CPU as well?

Can you Ctrl+Alt ... DEL when that happens?

In my opinion your entire system is frozen then as you can not C+A Del. I suppose you also can not Atl+Tab your way to another process (screen) either.

NTFS is not designed for gamming but that also is an opinion, and I know I have intruded in your post, but I am at a loss here.

There are clocking boards that will allow settings to be set that match your AGP to the clock speeds of your processor ( which I say is overheating ) and if you are using an overclockers board you might want to go through your manual step by step in the BIOS settings section.

Here is a note on NTFS from:

NTFS repairs hard disk errors automatically without displaying an error message. When Windows 2000 writes a file to an NTFS partition, it keeps a copy of the file in memory. It then checks the file to make sure it matches the copy stored in memory. If the copies don't match, Windows marks that section of the hard disk as bad and won't use it again (Cluster Remapping). Windows then uses the copy of the file stored in memory to rewrite the file to an alternate location on the hard disk. If the error occurred during a read, NTFS returns a read error to the calling program, and the data is lost. [b/]

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back