Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why does my computer keep freezing when I play a game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaFliPaPiNoYbOyGaMeR

Technical User
Dec 28, 2001
US
Everytime I play a game called Diablo 2 my computer keeps freezing. I don't know why. The game doesn't even need good detail but it still freezes. Can anyone help me with this? Instant message me at DaFliPaPiNoYbOy8. Thanks

Could be lots of things!! here's a list.
1)Find and install the latest Graphics card drivers.
2)Download and install Direct X 8
3)Download any patches, normally relating to your OS, System configeration and Diablo 2 from Diablo 2 game site.
4)sometimes 3D games can be responsible for overheating processors, check you have adequate cooling, extra case fans etc.
5)Make sure your game settings are not too high for the Graphics card you have fitted. A low spec card won't handle high resolutions and monitor refresh rates. Take it down to 800x600 in 16 bit colour set refresh rate to default or optimum.
See how you go! Martin

Vote if you found this post helpful please!!

Need more info.
Video card type
Windows Version
Processor speed
RAM amount James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Geforce2 Mx-400 video card
Windows 2000 Professional
1333Mhz Processor Speed
256 Ram

Have you tried taking the Video card back and getting it replaced? Also try the latest detonator Drivers from James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Just a thought. I had the same trouble as you. It turned out that the 3D sound driver for my sound card was incompatible with the game. Does it play correctly with the 3D sound turned off?

Hope this helps,

zed

It should be an option in your game. Usually along the lines of use Environmental effects, or Advanced sound, or something along those lines.

Also, I would suggest checkingout for tips and other useful information pertaining to Diablo2.

You dont have a choice. You should be fine.
As for the freezing, have you tried another card to rule out bad hardware? James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

What is the makeup of your 256Meg onboard memory?

Single stick?

Type?

Well you answered my question enough. Sometimes two 128M sticks not matching ( IE: PNY - Kingston ) or more so Nano speeds unequal, can cause err in processing large files.

I read what you said, And I just don't feel it is your VideoCard because I am assuming you play other games of lesser and greater complexity and you stated that it was JUST this one game.

I either first thought it might be mis-matched MEM, and second you could just very well have a flaw on the CD that is to say a scratch or something that would cause it to not appear to be the same spot in the game everytime ... but can be the same spot on the CD.

Do me a thought. Uninstall it completely, drag the whole CD to your harddrive, reinstall it from there, and see if it still happens!

Yea, I checked it all already and they emailed me back. I did everything they told me to do but it still freezes. I decided to run it on Direct Draw and it worked for a few days but started to freeze today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back