Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why does Mcafee hang 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaase

MIS
Apr 4, 2001
US
Why does Mcafee hang if it doesn't have a network connection and is there a fix? If I start Mcafee with a network connection it starts fine. If there is no network connection is will just hang but a soon as it senses a network connection its starts right up.

You're a bit unclear as to which version you're running, but there is a recent problem with McAfee it's documented in this forum (with links elsewhere, also).

thread38-69503

B-)
PhiloVance
Other hobbies, interests: Travel, Model RR (HO Gauge), Genealogy.

There's a service pack out for McAfee VirusScan (assuming you're using version 4.5). This fixes this problem. Or you can get version 4.51 which includes all bug fixes.

I am also running into problems with Mcafee hanging up in the popup screen during the OS boot up. I have Windows 95 and Mcafee 5.21. I have machines in the network with 95 and 5.21 that work, but the ones of off the network hang. Is there a fix for this anywhere?

There is only one real solution to the problem. You have to upgrade to McAfee 4.5.1 and apply a registry patch that tells the PC not to look for the Network at Logon (versions prior to 4.5.1 do not look for the NoIP string). Its documented in the McAfee 4.5.1 Guide but not very obvious unless you know what you are looking for. We have only used it on Win 95 but it should work for 98 and Me as well. PLEASE backup your registry key first before applying.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Associates\TVD\Shared Components\Alert Manager\CurrentVersion]
"NoIP"=dword:00000000

VirusScan 4.5.1 w/ SP1 fixes most of the problems discussed here. However, since you said you're using 5.21 (which is a retail version), better upgrade to 6.02 (latest retail version). It's pretty stable.

AVChap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back