Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why does I: get mapped to SYS automatically?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peobody

Technical User
Sep 5, 2001
US
I have a Win98SE machine using Client 3.3 SP3 on a NW 4.11 LAN whose drive letter I: gets automatically mapped to SYS. I can delete the mapping only to have it remapped with the next login. The drive letter I: just happens to be the next sequentially available drive letter after all configured drive mappings are completed. Drive assignments are as follows: C: is the first HD, D: is the second HD, E: is the DVD, F: is the ZIP drive, G: is mapped to SYS, H: is mapped to VOLUME1. I have NO_DEFAULT in the container login script and do not use user login scripts. This automatic mapping of I: only happens on this one machine. Anyone have any ideas as to why?

Go to the Properties for the Novell Client and check the "First Network Drive" field. My guess is that it is pointing to I: on that machine.

Wish it were that simple but no such luck. "First Network Drive" is pointing to G:

Here's a twist. I had to login on this machine as ADMIN and noticed that Z: was mapped to SYS instead of I:. Once I logged back in as myself, I: was remapped to SYS. Does this give anyone a clue as to what is going on?

Yeah, you probably have a Login Script entry somewhere, i.e. Container, Group, User, Profile... that has this mapping.

Check to see what Groups you are a part of. Also check EVERY Container above your User object for Login Script entries. Look for User Profiles Login Scripts within the containers.

And what about any persistant mappings at the workstation level? If you were to logon at a different workstation, do you still get the I: mapped to SYS?

Good Luck!

I found the culprit! Pegasus Mail was automatically mapping SYS to I:. Setting a DOS Environment Variable has solved the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back