Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why does boot up for tcp/ip take so long??

Status
Not open for further replies.

OKeddy

Technical User
Jul 13, 2001
GB
I have done a bootlog analysis and find the bulk of my boot up time is taken up by this:

27.78secs starting tcp/ip (NETWORK\MSTCP\0001)

I have just upgraded and my previous pc didnt take that long for tcp/ip it took like less than a second.

I am on cable and run w98,anyone any ideas??

Double check all your network settings. Most of the time the problem is that TCP/IP needs to discover where it needs to go.

Hope this helps

Thanks - ye I tried changing all the obvious stuff but the bootlog still says 27.728 secs starting TCP/IP (NETWORK\MSTCP\0001)
It's got me foxed..

Have you checked to make sure Windows has your NIC set up properly for speed & duplex?

I had a lot of weird problems recently because I was using a 10/100 NIC, CAT 3 cable, and a 10/100 switch - and the NIC was set up as "auto" in Windows. It was very slow, had huge numbers of errors, but ran.

Changed settings to 10, Half and things took right off.

Works fine at 100, Half too - but until I replace this loooong Cat 3 cable I'll stay at 10Mbps.

Just a thought - might not apply to your situation at all but a lot of cable modems are 10, Half so you might want to try forcing that setting in Windows (just check the NIC properties, probably an "advanced" setting).

Thanks for your reply,I tried changing the settings you suggested,but no joy,all my settings are now the same as they were on my other pc,which as I said took less than a second for the same job,I think it may be something to do with the hardware,I have an epox 8kta3+ mobo.

With NO CONNECTION to the NIC, do you have the problem?
With NO TCP/IP on the NIC do you have the problem? (Of course not!)

You did not mention the NIC make & model yet. It is a solid, mainstream item, right? Haven't heard of Epox PCs--integrated NIC?

Nics vary widely in the hardware & software included on the card, from powerful, self-testing types with their own processors to those that have a couple of chips and an RJ-45 and rely upon the CPU for everything. Integrated types, of course, tend to be the latter.

As you can guess from this line of questions, I prefer having a solid, well-known hardware foundation before tackling the real problems.

Yours,
Mike

Thanks for the reply Mike,my Network card is - 10/100 PCI NE2000,it's about the cheapest going,and it's the same as the card in my other PC.

K
Are you logging into a workgroup or a Domain?
If your settings is to logon to a Domain and and cannot find the Domain it will take long to login.

Make sure of the setting.

Hope this helps

No Maruis it's a standalone PC,my settings in control panel/network are as follows:

configuration
-------------
client for microsoft networks
NV 100R II/III fast ethernet nic
TCP/IP

primary network logon is "windows logon"

also set at share level access control under "access control"

Hi
Weird problem......
As a wild guess try this:
Set your pc to logon to a workgroup, irrespective of the name.
This will be your first logon screen...right?
Your second logon screen is for Win and means nothing i.e. no security whatsoever.(if your pw's are not synced)

Just maybe it will work give it a try.

Let me know what happened

Does your NIC have a setting for auto-polarity (some cards have certain proprietary settings) - General rule of thumb when sorting out connectivity problems, simplify everything. If there are "auto" settings on your card disable them.

Good luck,
Phil. If everything is coming your way then you're in the wrong lane.

Did you try getting a trace of the communication using a protocol analyzer? That ought to show you any errors associated with network name/address/other resolution.

Packeteer

Maruis - not entirely sure how to do that with w98.

fynx - changed the only auto setting from auto to 10 full mode with no change.

Packeteer - that sounds an interesting idea,do you have a name for one of these analyzers so I can try.

Thanks all.

One other thing - are you connected directly to the Cab. modem, into a switch port or a hub?

If your not plugged into a switch you can stop reading now...

By default switch ports have spanning tree enabled. This causes a wait before the network will start forwarding packets. Most switch manufactures enable you to switch this off (REMEMBER: only switch off spanning tree on ports that are connected to end nodes! V.Important).
Cisco's implementation is called portfast - enable this (or whatever your manufacturers implementation is) and you'll hopefully find your boot up time is faster.

Cheers,
Phil If everything is coming your way then you're in the wrong lane.

K
Open the properties of your network settings.
You will see:
Client for MS networks
Highlight and go properties
Here you can set workgroup or Domain.
If it is set to domain change it to a workgroup, any name will do.

Hope this helps

anybody thought of the thing trying to find a DHCP ? ( if yes, is there one ? )
sorry if thats one of the "obvious" stuff, but I don't see it posted anywhere ....
this might explain the delay...
anyway, about the CAT3, this is _not_ suitable for 100Mbit anyhow.....
good luck. !?

fynx - no no switch.

marius - don't seem to have that option,just NTdomain only.

z6 - ye it could be looking for DHCP and taking it's time,but i have said earlier that the same settings were used on my other pc when i was using that and it connected in a sec,i dont have any software which can analyse the lag further,thanks for all your suggestions.

Because it is trying to lock on to a domain it will take long.
Reason it tries to find the domain and it can't.
Uninstall your network protocol's and services, reboot and reinstall. Make sure to set it to a workgroup.

This should solve your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back