Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why does access stop asking for a password

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTM

MIS
Dec 18, 2002
US
Sometimes after a few times coming in and out of access, the sign in password screen stops showing up and I can get into forms and stuff that i would not normally be allowed to get into. if i go to somebody else's computer the login screen still appears. but once i lose it on my computer, it doesn't come back until i reboot.

the workgroup information file is on our 2000 advance sp3 network and I am running win2000, although i have also seen in on an XP station.
i am using access2002(10.2627.2625)

thanks
larry

I have my users automatically log in/out of the appropriate workgroup information file by placing a Target in their shortcut. Open the user's shortcut to the front end db and put this in the Target field:

"path to the user's copy of MSAccess.exe" "path to the front end db on the user's PC" /wrkgrp "path to the workgroup information file that you created when you set up security"

The quotes around the three parts above are critical by the way.

Ann

What Ann says is good. Your users are joining your user group by default rather than joining for the duration of the session. Is the Admin user required to use a password? Do you have a clever user?

If the default Workgroup is your group there is no need to login if the Admin user doesnt need to. The default workgroup should be System.mdw. Open Access direct and see which group you are in

Both of the follow up posts are spot on. I only have one thing to add, which is that if it is possible to get into your database without logging in, it _is not_ fully secured using Access User Level Security. If you want this database secured, you'll have to do the securing over again. Check out the MS Access Security White Paper. There's a copy on my website, or you can get it directly from Microsoft.

Jeremy =============
Jeremy Wallace
Designing, Developing, and Deploying Access Databases Since 1995

Take a look at the Developers' section of the site for some helpful fundamentals.

i will try ann's suggestion
just to clarify if there is any confusion

the admin account does need a password.
this not having to login problem has occurred on at least 2 different machines with 2different operating machines and 2different username
the security file is K:\databases\secured.mdw where K; is a network drive
and i have just printed out the white paper to read.

thanks
larry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back