Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

why does Access lock a database after it compacts it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

markartist

IS-IT--Management
Nov 12, 2003
US
why does Access lock a database after it compacts it?

Actually, if I am right, the end user is getting a 'Ready' in the bottom left hand corner of the screen, but probably still has the hour glass as the cursor. Even though Access reads that it is ready, it is still working in the background. If a user goes and tries to open up the database, it will be locked still as finishes up it's process. Patients usually pays off here, and wait until you are able to see the regular cursor, and then open the database to check the integrity.

S.C. Albertin
Database Administrator/Newbie Tech
United Way

Help me to find my way, so that I may help others find theirs...

What happened was that I opened Access and then the database and then selected "Compact and Repair". The status bar completed and the cursor changed so I closed Access and then attempted to access the database and it told me it could not find the specific db or that it was locked.

What I did after that was to rename it and then name it back and then it would allow me to access it. My question is...why did it lock it when I compacted it?

Was the ldb completely gone from the file when you began your compact and repair? I have not known Access to lock from a compact and repair utility.

S.C. Albertin
Database Administrator/Newbie Tech
United Way

Help me to find my way, so that I may help others find theirs...

Yes, the other one I tested was not even in use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back