Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why does a verify take so long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peanut2005

Technical User
Apr 26, 2005
GB
Hi Guys,

I've recently setup a few backup jobs using Backup Exec v.10, the backup is fine, but the verify is crawling at 22MB per min and I'm backing up a grand total of...wait for it...two servers! The total data capacity is a whopping 400GB. I've implemented this before at another site and all works fine, but I cant for the life of me work this one out.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Update the drives , firmware, etc for the scsi card and tape device. Look for any error in the system/application log relating to tape device or scsi controller. Use the OEM tools and test the drive. Maybe a hardware problem

Peanut, i had this problem 2 weeks ago.

Backup ran ok, but Verify took forever - it turned out, it was because we hung the LTO off a RAID cards SCSI port, as opposed to a dedicated SCSI card.

Try that mate!

I back up about 700GB a week. To be honest I stopped using the verify a while back. I found it to be very looooooong and slow. If you don't need it on -unless you have a IT policy - uncheck it.

Good Luck

how can u trust your backups then, if you dont verify them.

crazy!

Agree Manikm...call Veritas in on a failed restore and first thing they ask if for is the job log with a verify. If you dont have it see you later - best attempt

One way out is to backup to disk. Even the guys at Veritas told us the verify option is not required is disk is your target.

jwill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back