Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why do users have to enter Domain\Username to authenticate

Status
Not open for further replies.

myuserid7

MIS
Mar 2, 2005
ES
Hi,
I have a server with IIS 6.0, Win2003.

When users go the website and enter their Username and Password. It does not accept it but displays the authentication box again with the servers name before the username, ie:

server.mydomain.edu.au\Username

The users has to retype the username as:

mydomain\Username

And then it works fine.

I can't understand why IIS does not Default to the Domain that I have already specified in IIS?? The Users should not have to enter the domain name everytime they log into the site.

My setup is:
Server DNS name: server.mydomain.edu.au
Domain: mydomain.edu.au

-Basic Authentication
-Integrated Windows Authentication.
-Default Domain: mydomain.edu.au

Appreciate any help.
Thanks

Is you IIS Server a member of your domain (it has a computer account in AD) or is it a stand alone server?

You have Integrated Windows Authentication which includes Kerberos and NTLM authentication methods. So the requirment is that your Server and clients are also Domain Members and have direct connection to AD, which is not the case with clients on the Internet.

Also, Win Authentication does not work over HTTP Proxy Connections.

My Setup for client access from the Internet:
(This setup also works for Intranet, SSL optional)
disabled anonymous
enabled basic
disabled Windows Authentication
Default domain: \
SSL Enabled to protect username and password

IIS server is a member of the domain. ACLs set up in the DMZ to controll access from the Internet.

Hi Thanks for reply.

The IIS server is a member of the domain (computer account in AD).

The computers connecting to it are also on the same Domain. This happening on intranet computers.

I still can't figure out why users have to enter the Domain\Username to authenticate ?
Why doesn't IIS, use the Default Domain specified in the settings ?

Appreciate any more info.
regards

It should work, something in your config may be set-up wrong. Instead of using "domainName.com" in your default domain settings, try just the "\" backslash as posted above (without quotes). The backslash uses the default domain the IIS Server is a memeber of.

Thanks Whokilledkenny, I'll try the '\' as the default domain. And see how it goes.

In response to Ihuegele's question:
Users are going to
I've read in other posts that the 'Default Domain' option is only available when using 'Basic Authentication'.
If 'Intergrated Windows Authentication (IWA)' is selected then the Default domain is not used.
So if IIS responds to a browser request with both Basic and IWA authentication. The browser will pick the what it thinks is best. If it picks IWA then no default domain is specified and that is what may be causing my issue ???

Does that make any sense to you ??? I am correct in understanding this IIS authentication system ?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back