Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why do these two table styles conflict?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryCam

Programmer
Dec 16, 2003
US
I have a bunch of text that scrolls vertically. Inside that text I have several tables and they appear as expected and scroll along with the text.

I have a table I'll call 'cart' that I want to place inside the scrolling area but it won't go. The only way it will scroll merrily along is if I remove its style or remove the overflow characteristic of the scrolling text.

Here's the style for the scrolling text:
Code:
.bodytext {
   overflow-y: auto; 
   overflow-x: hidden;    
   font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
   font-size: small;
   color: #666666;
   width: 580px; 
   vertical-align: top;  
   text-align: left;
   background-color: #FFFFCC;
   line-height: normal;
   height: 440px;
}

And here's the style for the table I want to insert:
Code:
#cart {
   font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
   font-size: 12px;
   color: #666666;
   text-align: right;
   width: 537px;
   align: center;
}

Obviously some characteristic is incompatible, but what? What style attribute would conflict with "overflow-y: auto;"?

Thanks in advance, Gary

There's no align in CSS, however I don't think that is causing your problems. Can you explain in more detail what "it won't go" means?

Thanks for the response, Vragabond. I just found the problem: I had an unclosed tag. Funny how you can concentrate on a problem for an hour without success and then after taking a break the answer leaps out at you!

~ Gary

Hi Chris. Wise advice indeed. VALIDATE YOUR CODE.

I am not a programmer/designer/anything. I just fiddle around. Can you explain how YOU validate code? After I make something nice & pretty in Firefox I then have to spend at least as much time making it look the same in IE. I assume proper validation would eliminate this.

TIA,
Gary

There are plenty of validators out there, but I tend to use the W3C one at . If you install the Web Developers Toolbar extension for Firefox it'll let you validate any page your looking at with a couple of clicks. You can also install a plug-in which will validate each page as you view it from .

All these methods will check your code against the doctype you give it, and keep it on the straight and narrow.

Will it ensure that IE and FF renderings look the same? Not in itself, no, but it does help. When a browser encounters invalid code, it tries to guess at what you meant your code to say. IE and FF sometimes make different guesses, leading to inconsistent results. Ensuring your code is valid makes it easier to keep the browsers in step. Equally important, it flags up hard-to-spot errors like missing an end tag.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Thanks, Chris. I will download the toolbar and validate code from now on.

~ Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back