Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why do the fans start when one core is maxed out

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwb

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
GB
I'm running VMs on a core i7. I had one core assigned to a VM. During a build, within the VM, CPU usage is 100%, 12.5% on the host and the fans go crazy.

I then assigned 2 cores to the VM. 25% on the host and the fans are still going crazy.

I then assigned 4 cores to the VM. 50% on the host and the fans are normal.

Don't understand this: why is it when 4 cores are used by the VM, the PC doesn't need as much cooling as when 1 core is used? The same happened on a Xeon.

I would assume that it is to prevent a core overheating. Presumably there is a thermometer per core. As you don't have a fan per core if one core gets hot it has to go to max cooling for safety's sake. What I don't understand is why you say 4 cores used 50% of the CPU. If 2 cores used 25% (each at 50%?) then I would expect 4 cores to use 12.5% each at 25%.

Unrelate I guess but:
Thats why I don't like stock coolers, where then fan sounds excessive and load at 100%.
I use a large heatpipe cooler with 120mm fan so in the unlikely even (given it's improved cooling over stock) that the fan spins at full speed, it is still barely audible.
I use a Fenrir Titan but there are many others out there at a reasonable cost which will lower CPU temps but at the same time dramatically reducing noise.

Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

It has 8 cores so 1 core=12.5%, 2=25%, 4=50%, 8=100%. I've allocated 4 cores to the VM so when the VM is maxed out the host is running at 50%.

With a laptop, there isn't a lot of chance changing the fan. Dells have made stuff so difficult to modify it is even a pain adding memory or upgrading the disk. This used to be really easy on the older machines.

My appologies, with 8 cores i presumed it would be a work station.
Thats one powerful laptop you have there.....

Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

Ah - I see what you mean now! That is a bit of a puzzle. Do you have any CPU temp monitoring software? Have you tried running resource monitor. On an I7 you actually have 4 cores each multi threaded so you get 8 threads not 8 CPUs. I did a bit of testing for you on an I7 running Win 7 Ultimate using Excel 2007 and running a large macro. This is what I found.
Code:
Fan	CPU	Cores		Cores
Speed	Temp	Requested	Used
RPM	deg C			%

527	34	N/A		N/A	Idle state
1406	55	1		4	1 at 75% 1 at 50% 2 at 10%
1500	55	2		4	2 at 75% 1 at 50% 1 at 10%
1500	55	3		4	2 at 75% 1 at 50% 1 at 10% 
1500	55	4		5	3 at 75% 1 at 50% 1 at 10%
1500	55	5		6	4 at 75% 1 at 50% 1 at 10%
1500	55	6		7	5 at 90% 1 at 75% 1 at 50%
1550	63	8		8	8 at 100%

That table is a bit of an estimate as up to 4 cores requested the actual 'core' used kept changing! Also the graphs were up and down a bit.

I can only conclude that Excel & or Windows is not that good at core limitation and a lot of stuff is going on. I did it with Excel because you can change how many cores quickly unlike with a VM where you have to reboot the VM each time.

I hope, but doubt, this helps you much. Let's hope a real expert notices this thread and replies.

Had a grope around. My machine doesn't have any temperature monitoring or fan speed S/W attached to the resource monitor. I'll have a look on the net; maybe Dell have some tools for this.

Thanks I'll give it a spin tonight

Holy Schneikies! I see why they call that cooler the "Titan".

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back