Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why do some phones have a "+" after thier name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbxguy

MIS
Oct 6, 2003
US
For example, the 6424D, I've seen them listed as just 6424D and as 6424D+...what is the difference? And also, we are looking into the 8101, but I have also seen 8101M, they appear to be the same phone.

This typically means that it is a two way speaker phone.

So "+" means 2-way speakerphone? You mean full duplex, right?

OK, I was able to verify that the + does mean 2-way speakerphone...but I am still unsure what the difference between the 8101 and 8101M is...any info would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!

I'm not sure what the 'M' stands for but it basically means that there is a headset amplifier within the phone. Kind of like putting a Plantonics M12 amp in the device directly. With this type phone you could operate a headset or handset simultaneously. We have a few 6416M phones here but they have proven too costly to replace so we just hang the M12s off of our regular 6416s.

THE "M" ON THE END MEANS THAT THEY HAVE A MODEM JACK AVAILABLE TO PLUG A REGULAR ANALOG DEVICE INTO THE PHONE, OR AT LEAST THE CAPABILITY IS AVAILABLE. ON THE 6400 SERIES PHONE, U HAVE TO INSTALL A MODULE ON THE BACK OF THE PHONE, AND THEN ADMINSTER THE ANALOG STATION IN THE 6400 DIGITAL PHONES STATION PAGE. THE ANALOG SIGNAL RIDES ON THE DIGITAL SIGNAL AFTER BEING CHANGED TO DIGITAL WITHIN THE PHONE. A 8100 SERIES PHONE IS A ANALOG PHONE PLUGGED INTO A ANALOG JACK, BUT HAS A JACK ON THE SIDE TO PLUG A ANSWERING MACHINE OR COMPUTER INTO. U CAN USE ONE OR THE OTHER ON THE 8100 SERIES PHONE, BUT NOT BOTH, BUT ON THE 6400 SERIES PHONE U CAN BE TALKING ON THE PHONE, AND STILL USE THE ANALOG JACK FOR TALKING OR COMPUTER MODEM USE

Thanks guys!

mikeydidit- I checked out that link...great resource for seeing what options are available on what models in the case we should have more or less needs in future phone purchases.

zebrabwbwbw- Thanks for the lowdown on the 'M' thing...guess that explains why in pictures, the 8101 and 8101M look alike...unless you can see the jacks, I'm guessing you wouldn't see the difference. BTW, so what TheBlueBeagle said about the M meaning it has a builtin headset amp, is that only the case for certain series'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back