Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why do my clients need a preferred server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdulac

MIS
Jan 5, 2002
US
I have never been able to figure out why my clients need my domain controller listed in preferred server? What do I need to activate so they can find my server without listing as a preferred server? The problem is with laptops that leave the office they are having problems connecting at hotel rooms or at their homes because they have the preferred server listed instead of "obtain dns server automatically". TIA.

If you have "prefered server" specified for DNS, then you are manually telling the computer which DNS server to user. Rather than manually setting this, you should let the DHCP server specify this for you. Check the radio button that says "obtain DNS server addresses automatically" on your clients (this is the default setting). On the DHCP server, you need to configure scope option 006 DNS servers. Add your DNS server to this option and then DHCP will pass it to your clients when they get their IP address. When your clients travel (laptops), then they will get a different DNS server address from the DHCP server that gives them their address... one that works for the network they are connected to.

Start, Help. You'll be surprised what's there. A+/MCP/MCSE/MCDBA

Thats the problem when I set it to "obtain dns server automatically" the computer just locks up after typing your username and password.

Can I get a little more info on configuring scope option 006 DNS server?

You have to setup the DNS server in your DHCP scope first, then turn everything to obtain automatically. If you don't setup the DNS in your scope first, it won't work.

Did you even go to your DHCP scope and take a look? It's pretty straight forward how to setup the DNS scope.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

My DHCP scope is all done by my SONICWALL hardware firebox.

Why aren't you using your W2K Server to handle your DHCP?

Regardless, not familiar with that but did you check it to see if you can enter the DNS server in it? I'm willing to bet you can.

Actually I don't know why I am not using my W2K server to handle my DHCP? I guess I was using it with my NT4 server and I never switched over. Am I losing out on anything by not using it for the DHCP?

Anyway I went into the Sonicwall and entered the DNS server address like you said and its working now. I appreciate your help.

The Sonicwall is nice, but using a DHCP server built into your AD environment is much better.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Well, prblem solved, yes, but I think you'd be better off using the DHCP on your server environment instead. If you have a domain, I believe the consensus would be to use the servers within that domain to handle domain chores instead of appliances when possible.

Glad it's working though.

You are better off using the DHCP on your server rather than the appliance to take advantage of the more robust features and options that the "box" will not do... Passing paramaters such as the DNS server, WINS server, WINS options, default gateway, domain name, etc. etc. etc. etc... is not always available from the box. We even use the reservation feature to fix the IP addresses of our printers (makes tracking the printer IP's easier). The DHCP also gives you a listing of IP addresses it has assigned and to what computer (won't get that from a box). For now, you are up and running, but consider switching to the server DHCP sometime in the future.

BTW: If you should only list your internal DNS servers in the option. If you can't reach the internet, then you need to delete the root zone on your DNS server and configure a forward to the ISP's DNS server from yours (lets your DNS query the internet DNS to resolver internet name addresses).

Start, Help. You'll be surprised what's there. A+/MCP/MCSE/MCDBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back