Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WHY DO I GET EMPTY PICTURE BOXES WHEN PRINTING OUT PHOTOS IN QUARK???

Status
Not open for further replies.

muski

MIS
Nov 17, 2001
GB
PLEASE PLEASE PUT ME OUT OF MY MISERY, WHY DO MY IMPORTED PHOTOSHOP IMAGES LOOK FAB AND THEN WHEN I PRINT THEM I ONLY GET EMPTY PICTURE BOXES? (IN QUARK EXPRESS) I'M A REAL AMATEUR AT THIS BUT PLEASE IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME I WILL BE SO GRATEFULL. TY :^)

Muski,

Several options: your printer isn't up to it, you have postscript errors or in print setup you have output set to rough instead of normal.

are your pic boxes suppressed ???
key apple m Greg

K & G Design
kgdesign@warwick.net

Another potential issue is if the quark file is being printed from another computer, and the image files have not been put onto the cD or the ZIP drive that contains the quark file to begin with.

I unfortunately know of this problem because it has happened to me!

But even when you print out in that instance Andy, you'd get the preview images going to the printer at 72dpi.

thanks Zelandakh, my printer is a HP deskjet 970Cxi, I think it should be ok, I don't understand what "postcript errors " are maybe you could explain, I have checked in print set up and that all looks fine but when I try and alter anything in my quark print setup option box it refuses to let me, if I persist, it quits and I get error re-start message. When I ask for preview, I just get the empty pic boxes and my action timer icon ticks as if something will happen but nothing does. Well that's wher I'm at, thanks again. muski.

Thanks too to Greg25 and Andy Pilot, the pic boxes arn't suppressed and the file is not from another computer. I also am aware that when I open my quark programme I get a message saying efi colour processor not found in system folder, well any other suggestions would be most welcome and thanks so much for advice...muski

The HP isn't a postscript printer. How do you normally print your documents to this printer?

Do I have to have a postcript printer then? This is the first time I have tried to print Quark docs, I have printed appleworks, photoshop and other documents in the past.

If you don't have a postscript printer then the pages that are printed out will not apply cutouts to your images, will not render Illustrator files correctly, etc.

You can buy postscript software for about £100 then print the pages out from that. Or convert the pages to highres pdf then print them out. If you have Acrobat. Acrobat is about £180 If you can't fix it in 20 call someone who can.

Thanks for this, I shall try these options, I wasn't aware that I had to have postcript software or printer so this is very helpful and I shall look at the PDF and Acrobat options aswell. Many thanks. Muski

You shouldn't have to use PostScript just to get layout pages; without it, type should print fine (given Adobe Type Manager) and you should see previews of images. (That is, Quark should dump the preview as RGB output.) Trying to print as CMYK would possibly also trigger an error.

I remember before I bought my first printer I was able to use my neighbor's ImageWriter (that would have been before 1993; the ImageWriter was a dot matrix printer, and my Quark version would have been about 2.0). Images, especially from Illustrator, were blocky, since they were preview dumps, but they were usable to check page layouts. You could also try Adobe PressReady, which is a software RIP (Raster Image Processer, or PostScript engine) for certain inkjet printers. See if yours is one of the ones they support; excellent results on my Epson (better than the PostScript option I bought from Epson). And not too expensive, either.

If you don't want to add a standalone RIP, you may have better luck if your images are Tiff format; eps uses encoding for the data. If you are already using Tiff, rather than EPSF format, let us know. There may be more here than meets the eye.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back