Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why do I get 2 different speeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 26, 2002
US
Can anyone explain why one 98se computer will connect to the office network at 9600 baud while another 98se computer will report the speed at 100000000 baud?

According to a Microsoft Article, the reported connection speed has no bearing on the actual connection speed but it does not say why one may say it is 9600 while another will say 100000000. I have one client that swears that because he is "connecting" at 9600 that his connection is too slow.

Any ideas?

Thanks -
bw

WOW BW- I was about to ask the same question. All of our "98 machines are running at 100000000 mbs while our remote office is running at 9600. The only thing I can see thats different is that the one running @ 9600 has a DSL connection, and the rest have a wireless connect. If you find out the answer to this let me know, and of course vise-versa.
~*~wRoCk~*~

Hi. I have the same question in mind. My coworker and I both have DSL connection but I am connected at 10000000 but he is at 9600, why? I will keep search and of course will post if I find anything.

Thanks!

After testing a little bit yesterday this is what I saw.

I have (3) NT VPN servers and (3) 2000 VPN servers. Using a Win98se computer, I VPN'd into each server several times. Consistently the connection was reported at 10,000,000 on the NT servers. On two of the 2000 servers, the reported connection is consistently 9600. On the 3rd 2000 server it is now 10,000,000. I say "now" because before I applied the DUN1.4 update it was consistently 9600.

SO, what does this tell me... Nothing... Except that I had too much time on my hands yesterday.

the speeds are irrelevant, the 10000000 that you see is your ehternet connection 100mb or 10mb. the 9600 for the VPN is set that way because it is not a real connection so instead of sensing the data speed Microsoft just made them all 9600, or 100mb. It means nothing, you'll get the speed of your line; whatever it is. Yes you have to much time on your hands!! Ha!! :)

geoff

trailman73 --

LMFAO!!! Yeah, at the moment I am snowed/iced in... So I have been dedicating the time at hand by doing a little research on the things that have nagged me for awhile. It's either that or start drinking! :)

I realize that the reported connection is really irrelevant, as I have proved to myself by connecting to the 6 different servers. What I really want to know is, why 9600 or 10000000? Why not one or the other? I know that it really is a moot point, but I have not been able to satisfy my curiosity as to what makes it think it is 9600 instead of 10000000 or vice-versa.

Have a good one!

bw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back