Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why do certain domains drop our email? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tylan

Technical User
Mar 5, 2003
US
I'm working on an exchange 5.5 server, and cannot send email to juno. I've heard that you can do a forward and reverse lookup to check if you email is spam. I think our ISP doesn't have our static IP registered right. What should I check? Does anyone know the ways that hotmail, juno, and yahoo check to see if your email is spam?

Some companies do a reverse lookup on incoming email.

Say you have domain.com. Your MX record (record that tells everyone one the internet where your mail server is) may point to 64.56.X.X

But when your email server sends mail, it may be coming from a different IP address. If Juno does a reverse lookup, they see that the email from domain.com is not coming from 64.56.X.X, so they could flag it as spam.

There's also a chance that your server is blacklisted. DNSBL (DNS blacklists) have the IP address of spammers.....your email server could be on that list.

Not all companies use reverse lookups or DNS blacklists......I have no idea what Juno or others use (I use 3 blacklists for my mail server, my spam dropped by over 85%)

To start, check your SMTP queues; if there are a ton of things in there, your mail server is an open relay. Also, do an nslookup on your domain's MX record and make sure it's the same as your mail server is set for (hopefully, your behind a firewall, so you'll have to check if it's statically NAT'ed or published)

Good luck!

I am having the same problems with netzero and juno addresses.
I have checked and my server is not on any blacklists. Is there any other ways of getting emails to go through to netzero and juno accounts?

Email them. Juno, Netzero, and United Online are all the same company. I sent emails to Juno, and eventually got to someone at United Online. Start by telling your story to support@unitedonline.net or support@juno.com. I ***think*** that I finally ended up emailing abuse@juno.com. I know that they eventually put me in contact with someone at United Online.

Also, make sure you have proper DNS records w/ your ISP. Such as the Forward and Reverse lookups of your server. They should match, but its more important that they all point back to you or you ISP.

Log on to and run the diagnostocs. It will tell you if there are any problems with your MX record, DNS record, Blacklist, open relay, etc....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back