Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why did XP create a Dual Boot? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

anniesr

Technical User
Feb 25, 2002
US
I loaded Win XP pro (not an upgrade) over W2k. I was never propmted to replace - thus - a dual boot was created. How can I reinstall and wipe W2k at the same time? I had a similar prblem upgrading WXP h/e to WXP Pro?

Boot from the XP install CD. When it gets to the bit where you select location for install, use the tools there to remove the existing partition(s) - select & type D - and then create a new partition & install XP in that. This presumes you've backed up any data you need, as it will wipe all existing filestore.

Note: If this still leaves a menu entry for 2k and or old XP (sometimes its too clever for its own good and saves boot.ini during early install process, before you remove partition), just edit them out of boot.ini.

It will not let me choose to (D) the partition. I was successful in deleting from the boot.ini - but how do I delete the W2k files from the PC?

HOW TO: Partition and Format a Hard Disk in Windows XP (Q313348)

See the paragraph starting......

"How to Partition and Format Your Hard Disk by Using Windows XP Setup
IMPORTANT : If you follow these steps on a hard disk that is not empty, all of the data on that hard disk is permanently deleted."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back