Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why did backup exec crash my Domain Controller???

Status
Not open for further replies.

HUMANITE

IS-IT--Management
Jun 27, 2005
US
If you guys can help, I was installing backup exec 10 on 2 of my 3 servers and one would have to be my DC and the other a shipping server. Well to make a long story short after what I thought was a sucessful install I went to reboot both systems only to find that the DC would continuously reboot.. Now I have the DC running in safe mode with networking, and cant unistall backup exec because of it, or shut the services down.. What should I do, all help would be greatly appreciated.
BTW I tried doing a DC repair but that didn't work either. Please help!!!

Is it a IBM server or have IBM drives or controller? Windows 2003?

Its a server I built, server 2000. The drives are 4 maxtor 250 gig SATA.

Try running tapeinst.exe and uninstall Veritas Drivers.
I can only think its something driver related.
Have you gone to my computer - properties = advanced - startup/recovery and unselect automatically reboot to see if your getting a BSOD or something?

Thanx steveot, I have not tried those things that you mentioned. I will have to wait for this evening to try the above mentioned, because of the amount of users that are hitting their pst. files, I would hate for them to start getting mad about having no emails.

Will the server let you boot in safe mode? If so, it may be as simple as reinstalling the W2k SP.

If you're still not having any luck, here is a general troubleshooting article for installation issues that may help.
Note the part about the installation log, you might place a support call to Veritas, they'll likely want to review this file.

There are also manual uninstall instructions for older versions here:

I couldn't find an article for 10, you might call support and ask if they can point you to that article.

Good luck!

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back