Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why CMS shoud be Rebooted periodically 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChukiePTY

Technical User
Jan 13, 2010
PA
Hi guys,

I just want to know why avaya CMS should be rebooted periodically.

Our vendor told us, that is because temps, is this rigth??

thanks

The general answer to "why" dou you need to reboot is that it gets the system back to a known "state". This is true of any computer-based system.
Every piece of software has bugs. We hope that the worst and the the most common are found and fixed, but there are always bugs lurking in the dark corners. Usually the word "obscure" comes to mind. Like "An obscure counter rolled over from the maximum allowable number to a bad value" or "An obscure error happened and suddenly bazzilions of error messages were written to the error log, crashing the system".
While 99.999% of errors can be recognized and "fixed", the .001% do occur and they build up, eventually causing other problems.
So, once a month or once a quarter or once every 6 months (if you are brave), reboot your systems.

stsve

Ok, so no big surprise here... Avaya won't support it. However, the reason I got was that, because "a process could hang" which would prevent CMS or the Server from restarting "and no one would know" because a live person wasn't monitoring it. Guess in this day and age, monitoring tools are not used by Avaya like we use them.

Plus I'd have a call on my cell pretty quick if people couldn't get access to CMS after a reboot.

The process to get it working wouldn't change either, I'd still have to go on site, or call the vendor that hosts our network location, and power cycle the server.

Sometimes can't understand Avaya's reasoning. We'll be changing to a BP for CMS support hopefully at the end of this contract. Might get a different answer from them.

- Stinney

Quoting only proves you know how to cut and paste.

well, i just have to say
that avaya actually may not know very well their products

we have a good solution but they dont support it

so we need to be on the ice age working as monkeys because stupid guy dosent want to make it easy

He who stand with me shall be my brother

Hi All,

Just like I wrote earlier there is a readme file on the cms box that say it al.

just type cat /cms/readme/cms.readme | more

Ii will bring up the avaya recommendations, this is what is on a r14 CMS box. (not all but what is important, look on your own box to verify)

quote 1:
Avaya recommends that you reboot your CMS server once every three months for preventative maintenance reasons.

quote 2:
Although rebooting your CMS server is not a requirement, periodically rebooting your CMS server is a recommended procedure targeted at minimizing the risk of a system failure.

quote 3:
If you use the HA solution, reboot each CMS server at a
different time to prevent data loss.

So like I said, you could have a script or batch on a non cms box, that telnets and reboots one of your boxes.
You could make the script or batch "watch" the cms box and if it is not back on line after 20 minutes inform you via email or SMS that the box did not get back online.

Then duplicate the batch or script and schedule your second cms (HA system) on a different day.

Please let me know if the information that was provided is helpfull.
Edwin Plat
A.K.A. Europe

I know that's what their documentation says. I've had more than one support person tell me that the boxes should be rebooted monthly. They can't even agree with themselves. And although it says it's not a requirement, I've had 2 different systems freeze up because the reboot wasn't done within the 3 month period.

I also got the impression from my most recent discussion with them that they might not even like us to reboot remotely and I'm going to follow up on this as well.

- Stinney

Okay, get your point.
Would a 2 month interval go okay without freezes....if so I would reboot box one in even months and box two in uneven months

Please let me know if the information that was provided is helpfull.
Edwin Plat
A.K.A. Europe

I think that would be a good plan. I've never had one freeze up unless it went close to 3 months.

- Stinney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back