Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why can't the my Access Database allow multiple users to edit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlovel01

Programmer
Jul 16, 2003
US
I recently set up a databse on a shared drive. I created the workgroups and set up user accounts with the wrkgadm.exe. I added users, passwords, permissions, and put a desktop shortcut on each users computer. Now, when anyone is in the database doing data entry, it won't let anyone else in to do data entry. I get an error:
&quot;The database has been placed in a state by user <name> on machine <name> that prevents it from being opened or locked. (Error 3734) This error occurs when the new passive shutdown/connection control is being used. This error message indicates that a user set the database in a mode that will prevent other users from opening it.&quot;
Does anyone have a solution?

Look at the Tools > Options > Advanced dialog and see how you set up record locking on the database. This may be part of the reason. If not go to Microsoft's online MSDN library to search for solutions on how several users can use an Access database concurrently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back