Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why can't I veiw my own source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruthInSatire

Programmer
Aug 12, 2002
US
I know this isn't a javascript question. But I know there is alot of traffic here. I don't know where to post this question anyway.

I'm using IE 6.0.28.. and XP. my view source doesn't work on any pages, even mine which have no efforts of hiding my source.

Nothing happens, notepad doesn't open, IE doesn't flicker, nothing. Please help it is making it diffacult TS'ing my pages...

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- Quote by Douglas Adams

tried that. emptied my temp files, cookeis and even my history. tried restarting and changing my html editor, word, frotpage, excel and notepad. none made a differance.

ms knoledge base says that and notepad may be damaged. I can open note pad fine with no problems manualy. I'm trying to find notepad.exe or the .cab wich it is in to recopy it... any other ideas?

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- Quote by Douglas Adams

interesting side note. the "edit with..." button works fine, but the view source (right click or menu doesn't work)

- Quote by Douglas Adams

In Internet Explorer go to Tools/Internet Options/Programs and check that you have selected an HTML editor.

Which I see you've already tried :) so I would reinstall Internet Explorer.
I had this problem on my laptop and if I opened notepad first then went to view/source it worked.

Wow i just finished reading the 60+ view/source thread and found a GROOVY solution to your problem bombboy.
Pop this snippet into your browsers address bar :

javascript:alert(document.body.innerHTML);

Wicked!! :)

Wullie: Just tried to restore defaults, didn't work either.

llamatron: Thanks for the suggestions. I tried doing it with notepad open first and that didn't work either. I also saw those posts in the "view source" thread. A bunch of smart people here. :)

I wish i knew when it started happening, I went into a slump haven't been doing anything with my websites. Its been a while since i've even used view source.

Anyone know of any MS updates that may have made IE grumpy?

- Quote by Douglas Adams

cudos to MS for keeping there IE website updated...

BLA I can't install from "Latest version" web page because "I have a newer version and setup cannot continue"

OK i vented.

- Quote by Douglas Adams

Hi bombboy, it's weird, I just started getting the same problem today. I was working on my website and all of the sudden I lost my view source. The last task I remember doing was viewing my source from frontpage. Does anyone have any idea what's going on? Is there a virus that we don't know about? Please help, running out of ideas. I just joined this forum today. I almost ran out of handles to use. Sorry, long one here. Thanks. Nice to meet all of you folks. By the way, I'm a gurl, lol.

This has happened to me, too. Eventually, (1) the computer gods make it work again for no apparent reason or (2) I use another browser to view the source.

After searching for hecka days I finally found a solution for this view source problem. Unfortunately I don't know much because I didn't even know what a cache was (no laughing, please) but lucky for me there are a lot of geniuses out there. Okay, according to mr. google if you clean your cache your view source will start working again. I tried it and it worked! So please, clean your cache people! And if you don't know where to find your cache, ask me again so at least I can laugh at someone for a change. Kidding.

Hi guys I know this is an old post but i found the solution to the problem in a microft board. In xp if you have notepad.exe on your desktop it can cause problems with ie. I changed the name to Npad.exe and now i can view my source. :)

Hope it helps someone else out...

thereptilian120x120.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back