Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why cant I use the keystroke "~"

Status
Not open for further replies.

evilScooby

Technical User
Jan 9, 2004
GB
Why cant I use the keystroke "~"

On one of the new trackers I have to use, to exit it you push "~@"
But the script wont seem to trasmit this for some reason :(

Any ideas?

I have tried as much as I can think of.

I looked in the vkey table thing
and the charcater map for ~ on windows is 0x7E
and this is assigned to f key 15
so I tried sending that.
Then I tried making 0x7E unassigned by puttin a ; at it in the .inc file.
that didnt work

I seem to be able to send any other character though.

Im not sure if it is a procomm problem or the hardware tracker problem.
the exit command on the tracker is ~@ and when I use the recorder on procomm it realises I push "~@" but it wont transmit it.

Is it because when you push ~ the tracker doesnt display it cause its waiting for another keypress? like @ to exit, or is this a coincidence?

Its driving me barmy, and more and more of the systems are going to start using this to exit so I need to get it working or all my scripts have been a waste of time :(

he following symbols are reserved in ASPECT:

! != # $ % %= &
&& &= ( ) * *= +
++ += ’ - -- -= /
/= : ; < << <<= <=
= == > >= >> >>= ?
[ ] ^ ^= | |= ||
~

Does that just mean im stuck and cant use that stupid ~~~~~

This is due to the tilde being used as a pause character (half-second delay) by Procomm Plus. You can change the value of the pause character by selecting the Options | System Options | System Options menu item and choosing a new value for the Pause character field. You can also add the RAW keyword at the end of the transmit command and the tilde will be transmitted instead of acting as the pause character.

aspect@aspectscripting.com

That sounds great. Dunno if my version of procomm is different cause I cant find any entry for the pause character in
Options | System Options | System Options menu

How do u enter that raw keyword?
transmit &quot;~@&quot; raw ???

What version of Procomm are you using? If it's somewhat recent, the pause character will be toward the bottom right corner of Procomm's Setup dialog.

transmit &quot;~@&quot; raw is the proper format.

well its ups and downs.

It does transmit it now.
I changed the pause character, and I tried the raw command as well. it transmits it but doesnt do what its meant to now.
but if I push it myself it works fine. Just not when the script does it.

I changed it to `
and It dont matter what way round I put the text in the script now it has the same outcome

I put the character back to ~
and am sending that as a raw command now, but still wont execute the exit command it should when ~@ is pushed together

What terminal emulation are you using? I was able to use this script to send the two characters and it worked just fine:

proc main
transmit "~@" RAW
endproc

Try opening the monitor window in Procomm and see if both characters are being sent. Here is how to do that:

Procomm's Monitor Window can be used to view the incoming and outgoing data, in both hex and ASCII format. To activate this window, select the Data | Monitor Window menu item. Resize the Monitor Window so that you can view the entire width of the window, then click back in the Procomm Plus window so that the Monitor Window does not have focus. Incoming text is displayed in red, while text you send is colored blue. The Monitor Window can be handy for viewing incoming escape sequences (to determine if Procomm Plus is responding properly to them) or to verify that the program is sending the data you think it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back