Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why cant I make my Win2k computer join a diffrent domain?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyctech70

IS-IT--Management
Jan 13, 2004
US
Hi
I have Win2k on a computer. It was a part of diffrent domain. Why cant I make this computer join a diffrent domain by changing the Network ID?? The user is a new user and this Win2k computer is new computer for this domain?
I already added this user to my domain...then I connected this computer on the Network and tried to login as admin on the new network..but it doesnot let me. Finally I logged in as Admin on this computer and tried to change the Network Id> gave new name of the user(which I already created in the Windows server) and the domain name. Then it asked for computer name and I entered a name for the computer...it gives me an error Domain cant be found and DNS error too????
I cant see no other computer on the network except myself and I cant access Internet also

Any help wd be appreciated????
Thanks a lot
nalini

Well, you have to communicate with a DC to join a domain. Doesn't sound like your computer is communicating with anything.

Thankyou for the help...but thats what I am doing and I get an error "Domain doesnot exist "

Thanks

"I cant see no other computer on the network except myself and I cant access Internet also"

If you don't have basic network connectivity and name resolution, you won't be joining any domains.

1. Do you have a link light on your NIC?

2. can you ping 127.0.0.1?

3. Can you ping your own host name?

4. Can you ping your gateway?

5. Can you ping another machine on the same subnet by IP?

6. Can you ping another machine on the same subnet by host name?

7. etc., etc., etc.

I have a similar question to this... I've got my DC at home, and at work, and my desktop does visit both places on occasion. How do I setup my 2KPro machine to log on, and retain settings for BOTH networks?

GOD I love the smell of NOS in the morning.

hi Xmsre
I did remove the DNS server from TCP/IP properties and I can surf Internet and view the Domain and cant xx it. It tells me
NETWORK IDENTIFICATION "The following error occured while validating the name "my domain".This condition maybe caused by DNS lookup problem. The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted."

Still cant figure out what's the problem> I am just trying to join diffrent domain with W2k machine.

Thanks
nalini

And also I have light on my NIC & can ping to loopback add, my gateway, another machine on same subnet with IP and not by host name

thanks

To join a domain you need to specify the work station's ip address,and the dns server(s)ip address.gateway address may not needed.You also have to have connectivity between your workstation and dns server,meaning your ping command to the dns server have to be successful.If the ping to dns server failed it means the workstation does not know the dns server.Also check the dns suffix in the network id tab is checked.

I've come across this problem alot. Assuming it's the same thing,and it does sound like it, try joing the PC to a workgroup (Any name will do eg "workgroup") reboot PC then try to rejoin the new domain again. Works everytime for me.

If you were previously on another Domain you need to flush the DNS by going to ipconfig /flushdns and then try to rejoin.

AV

Not only flush the dns as the previous post but make sure you have the DNS pointing to the new Server you are trying to join. If you don't have the DNS Server set in the TCP/IP to the new one you can't see it to join the domain and you will get a DNS error.

AV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back