Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

why cannot shutdown directly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oceandeep

IS-IT--Management
Jul 6, 2000
GR
Hi,

I just met the problem of shuting down my pc recently. Win2k server now prompts the window "it is safe to turn off your pc" instead of automatically turning off the power. And it is sure that my pc support the function because I installed win98 in the same pc and it works fine. Previously, it was also fine with win2k server, but I don't know why it is like this after I reinstalled it.
It is not a big problem actually, but I just want to find out where to control this function.
Thanks a lot.

Albert

run regedit via start/run dialog.. then navigate to here.. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

On the right pane double click this key.. PowerdownAfterShutdown

and change the 0 (zero) value to a 1

this enables power off after shutdown..

Thanks a lot!
But I tried your method, and the problem still remains... :(

I had the same problem.
Go to device manager then click view then "show hidden devices".
underneath search for "non plug and play drivers" and look for anything with an red X on.
Then just enable the device that was disabled.
I forgot what it was called I think it was "legacy APM" or something like that.

Let me know if it works.

Rob

Thanks for your reply and sorry for the late reply...
I have reinstalled the win2k and solved the problem.
But my friend met the same problem as well in his office. But the device you mentioned, he can see in the system device, not in the hidden devices. And I just read a post in another forum about this problem, they said we have no choice but to reinstall the whole system...
Albert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back