Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why can only administrators can print to a local printer??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgean

Technical User
Apr 17, 2003
US
This has been asked a few times in a few other posts but no one has ever given an answer for this. I have a HP 4000N printer that is local and will print fine when I (administrator) is logged in but when the user logs in, it does nothing. This PC is on our network but the printer is local. I have seen this several times but I am unable to find a fix for it yet. If anyone has anything on this, please respond so I can get rid of this annoyance =)

Thanks

jason

Also meant to add. I can login as any of 10 other domain accounts and the printer works fine. Only that user it affects. I have even added the user to the local administrators group in the PC but still does not work =-)

Thanks

jason

Have you checked the security tab in properties of the printer to make sure that user has permission to print. Also try reinstalling the printer driver. Though it sounds weird I wonder if you could add the printer as a network printer for that user even though it is local, maybe then it would print.

Yeah the security is set to Everyone can print to the printer. I have even set the user in that ang gave it full access but still does not work. I have even tried adding it as network printer with net use but still does not work. Very very strange like I said. I have seen 30 posts about it on boards but no one really posted a fix yet.

The other way to approach this is to share the local printer with a sharename.

Then the net use lpt1: will succeed on the printer share.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back