Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why can only administrators can print to a local printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rohdem

Programmer
Sep 20, 2000
US
Hi
I have a win2k box on a windows 2000 domain that has a local printer attached to it. The printer is an HP 3820 deskjet. When I log in as an administrator, it prints fine. When I log in as someone else (non domain adminstrator), the print job flashes in the queue for a second, then disappears and never prints. I've tried making the user a local administrator and it still does not work. Everyone has permission to print to the printer. Does anyone have any idea as to what might be happening here?? I have also tried an HP 672 deskjet and I have the same problem.

Thanks Mike Rohde
"I don't have a god complex, god has a me complex!"

Hello

Here is a way I have done it. I used a script from Microsoft, and the MMC. You will need to run the script as an administrator before it will work for users.

First, using notepad configure the script.

Below is a sample that is a sample I use at work. Other samples can be found at Microsoft’s scripting center ( ).

Just change the \\ServerName\ShareName to reflect your network.

Set WshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
WshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\beaversvr\a-wing"
WshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\beaversvr\b-wing"
WshNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter "\\beaversvr\a-wing"

After you have modified the script save it as a .vbs . Then test the script on a WinXp computer. Just double click on it. It should connect to the printer. If it doesn’t, then you have a typo some ware.

After you have tested the scrip save to Program Files, and then use the MMC to have the script run at user logon.

Bye - KN

I am having a similar problems and hope someone can help me. I have a Dell GX240 (Win 2000) and HP PSC750 (USB). I can print (administrator) but my users can't. Everybody logs into W2K server but the printer is not a network printer. When a user prints, here is the message from event viewer: Event 61/Win32 error code returned by the print processor: 3765269347 (0xe06d7363).
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling print driver, updating to SP3, and other updates to no avail.

I tried to do the script that was in your question but could not get it to work. Does it work with local printers?

Contrarycat
I 'm having the same problems as you. I'm using a HP PSC750 (USB) too, but an Epson Stylus C62 printer (USB/LPT) won't work either because off the same reason.
Did you get any answer to your problem?
If so, please let me know.
Thanks in advance, CMol

P.S. HP Technical Support (Netherlands) couldn't give me any answer so far.

In any of these cases is your server running Terminal Server?

pc.gif

Jomama

I don't use a real server in the (small) network. Terminal Server is not running!

Hello

I have the same problem. Suddenly it appeared. The printer (HP 840 C) worked fine for a long time.

Has anyone solved the problem ?

pad

I have a USB printer that works just fine if I log on as an admin to my PC. I have created another "restricted" and "power user" accounts locally, and I am not able to print. The error message I am getting is like the printer is NOT connected to the PC while it is. I checked the printer configuration under these accounts and turned out that ALL printer ports were not defined (MISSING!!). However, the problem does not exist in the admin account.
I tried to change the permissions under those accounts (while logged on as an admin), but in no use!
I am really confused: is it not possible to print under "restricted" or "power user" accounts in win2000pro?? If yes, can that be adjusted by creating a customized account??
Please help.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back