Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why can I ping a server but have lost a mapped drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dw1

IS-IT--Management
Oct 2, 2002
US
System logs onto windows and maps to all the drives correctly. Over time different machines will lose conntection to one of the mapped drives, however I can ping that drive through the command promt but not through the name same result using My computer window?

R: = \\server\share
server=192.16.1.1

From My computer on a failed system:
Will work \\192.168.1.1\share
Will not work R:\\

Woops, sorry about that, good question,

I am mapping using servername

Try pinging both the servername and ip address. If you get a reply from the ip address only and not the servername it sounds like DNS. Do an ipconfig /all and see what comes up for your dns server. If it is not pointing to your internal dns server then that could be your problem.

From CMD I can ping both name and ip but not connect through the mapped drive in windows

Can you map through the command line?

[blue]"Well, once again my friend, we find that science is a two headed beast. One head is nice, it gives us aspirin and other modern conveniences,...but the other head of science is BAD! Oh, beware the other head of science, Arthur; it bites!!" - The Tick[/blue]

Use the following command

net use x: \\servername\folder

You can use this in a login script to automatically map them to certain drives every time they log in.

the correct dns shows on the IPCONFIG /all

Not sure want your looking for with the question what dns are you using. It is listed as corp.company.com

I can map through the comannd line

And I use a logon script that works but as in the original question it randamly will drop the mapped drive but still be capable of pinging back to the drive. Note it happens n different machines not just one so that rules out the systems, NICs, cables, and the switch (I think, dosen't it).

The logon script was a repsonse the the previous question not yours.

The reason I ask about your dns is if you can always resolve by ip but not by name it is most likely a dns issue. So on the workstation your dns server is listed as \\servername.domain.com? Not an ip address??

Try pinging the full domain, eg servername.company.com and see if that comes back with the correct ip address.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back