Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why Avaya recommends leaving the Number Plan Area (NPA) entry blank

Status
Not open for further replies.

heathmill

Technical User
Sep 12, 2005
GB
Hi Guys,

I was duing my ARS assessment (AVA00280) and have done this question wrong. I really want to know the answer of this question if any one can help.

Which two of the following are reasons Avaya recommends leaving the Number Plan Area (NPA) entry blank instead of inserting an area code. (Select two.)

a) The NPA could cause a local 10-digit call to be routed as a toll call, causing an unnessesary charge.

b)With IP Telephony, NPA is no longer necessary.

c)The NPA can affect a call if the NPA and area code of a 10-digit call match, resulting in a blocked call.

d)An NPA entry is only needed if the trunk preference is a foreign exchange trunk.

I would say (C). Often when they match, the PBX strip the area code and sends your 10 digit call out with only 7 digits. The 7 digits are rejected by the carrier and you therefore have a blocked call.

-CL

You seem to be saying that 2 of the answers are correct? B is clearly not true. The others are worded so vaguely, it could be any of them. I agree with Lopes that C is the most clearly correct answer. I'd say Avaya needs to reword this question and the answers. Too many places today require 10 digit dialing for local, while others don't, and can't take 10 digits for a local call. Bottom line, you have to know the dialing plan of the carrier you are connecting to.

oops, i didnt notice they were asking for 2 answers. I have my ACS and this is same BS vague questions that drove me nuts. The only thing worse are the ones which are just judgement calls with no absoulute answer.

You are a project mgr. Customer cutover is next week. The tech assigned is John. John doesn't know what he's doing. Customer wants to know John will do a good job. Pick 1.

A. lie and tell the customer all techs are good.
B. lie and say john is good.
C. dont call the customer back until the cut.
D. tell them john sucks but he's all you got.

-CL

i didnt even think they gave the ARS test anymore

Just to add to your mysteries guys, I have selected the option a & c which was wrong. Some one did try it c & d which was wrong as well. And also all the ACE answer this question as a & c.

I have found lot of questions that need to be reword.

Thanks Guys

I think Lopes must secretly work for Avaya writing exams!
Made me laugh out loud that! thanks. I think that D is the answer to his question.
I am in the UK and have my ACA, we contantly get asked questions which are only relevant to the US market. For your interest in the UK we never do anything with this entry because we don't conform to the NADP.

Speak softly and carry a big switch

It was really only half of a joke. I seriously had a question asked that was just like that (phrased differently of course). Total personal judgement call having to do with what I interpretted must be some sort of Avaya sales office policy, not a legit question to be asked on an engineering exam. It 100% did say "pretend you are the project manager.........". Why would I pretend to be a PM or know anything about a PM duties for an engineering exam? just plain weird. Well I did pass so I guess I have a good imagination, or sense of humor.

-CL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back