Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why Are My External HDD Files There When Disconnected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldGuy56

Technical User
Jul 28, 2017
CA
I noticed today that my 2 external HDDs show up in Windows Explorer even when the HDDs are disconnected. When I open the folders, it appears that many of the files are there and readily accessible. What setting "copies" these external HDDs to the laptop making them accessible like this. I don't want to tie up space or resources having this ability that I don't want or need. Thanks!! RB

What you describe is an impossibility unless you have done something to your computer to clone external files to a local drive. Could you have installed backup software that was bundled on your external drives? Only you would know if you have configured your computer that way.

Thanks spamjim...I didn't install or configure this intentionally but it truly is happening. The laptop is a Dell with backup and recovery software running but that may be unrelated. [sadeyes]

Is it maybe tied to Offline File Syncing? Check out the Control Panel / Sync Center and see if it is on.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Did you ever get this resolved for find a clue to what is causing?

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

I would move the files with the external unplugged, and see if they come back when you reconnect the drive.

Not resolved yet. Today, I tried opening some of the files again, when disconnected from the HDD. It looked like the large icons were there for all the files but when trying to open, I get a message that the file does not exist. ??

Shortcuts created by file indexing?

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Is there a reason why we're not discussing which troubleshooting steps were taken from the presented suggestions?

There's really no point in anyone trying to help if we're just lobbing ideas over a brick wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back