Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why am I still getting updates for XP 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwb

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
GB
Started up an XP system that I haven't used for about a year. Used it to download some photos off an oldish camera that didn't have W7 driver. When I shutdown the machine, it said that it would install the updates before shutting down.

Why is MS still sending out updates even though it is no longer supporting the OS?

Depends. Was it for Office or some other product still supported? Could also be for Defender, Malicious Software removal etc. I don't think any new security update has been released for well over a year. If you're curious, you could always fire it back up and check the update history.

Updates prior to XP being de-supported are still available. If your XP machine was shut down without being current, you could be picking up those updates. Then no more. Might as well disable the update service now.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

>Then no more
Microsoft Update pushes out more than just OS updates. I think it will still install Office 2010 updates and possibly other still-supported software.

Microsoft Security Essentials continues to work (as best it can I guess, albeit with constant nags that the OS is unsupported) and continues to be updated.

On the MS side, this machine only has

o Office XP (I think that was 2002)
o VS2008 Express SP1 (possibly the one getting updates)
o .net fw 3.5
o IE8, which I hardly use: normally use Chrome, which is never updated because Chrome is no longer supported on a P3.

Never know, could possibly the the security stuff. Anyway, it is not really important. I was just curious.

Have several with XP, nothing else MS, and they are still getting updates, at least 1 every month, mosty security related.

Had to reload 2 in the last month and they picked up the 140 or so to bring them to current.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

As Goom stated, one possibility is your system wasn't current the last time you used it about a year ago. Then when it fired up, it downloaded/installed the missing updates.

It could have also been in the middle of installing an update the last time you shutdown and was interrupted. It finally completed and notified you on shutdown. I know you said you were just curious, but damn it, now you've got me curious! Next time you knock the dust off that thing, see what it says in the update history for sh*ts and giggles!

edfair said:
Have several with XP...

yikes!
[shocked]

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

It's probably the government spyware from Windows 10 being retrofitted to Windows XP and installed via Windows update. I'm kidding but where is user JohnHerman when you need a good conspiracy theory?

Carl's comment:
"yikes"

Just so you can have a stronger reaction can I mention the 98SE.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I've got floppies and DOS6.22 which I use for transferring installation files to PCs without a CD, USB or network. Transfer through the parallel port is unsurprisingly slow but it works. The PCs can handle W2K but not XP.

@edfair
Gone postal...[machinegun]

@Goom
"...but where is user JohnHerman when you need a good conspiracy theory?"

LOL !! About spit my drink out when I read that!

Yeah - surprised it wasn't flagged. I took a chance.
He brings up good points about W10 but with a slightly paranoid bent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back