Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why all prompt change to # ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuqun

MIS
May 31, 2001
CA
Hi:

After I installed recommended patch for Solaris 7, some user's prompt change to # but not $. Users didn't get any root permission. whether you guys ever meet this problems? any suggestion on it? thanks in advance....

I'm not sure, but maybe the shells were changed. On your user's with the #, do an echo $SHELL. That may give you a hint as to what's going on. Also check /etc/passwd and see if any of the default shells got changed.

User on /bin/sh or /bin/ksh. same as before. I also ever copy the ksh and sh from other clean machine, totally no use. :(

Hi ,

What do u get when you say:

echo $PS1
Is it # or $ when you are non-root user.

Try checking /etc/profile and have a
look at the variable PS1. or Try setting it as root.

Or back out the patch.

Looks like the patch updated some of these files:
libc.so.1
libdl.so.1
libc_psr.so.1

Try downloading the patch again and install it.

Enjoy Unix..
s-)
DJC

echo $PS1 get nothing. no config for PS1 in /etc/profile at all.

Yes, you are correct, I found libc.so.1 and libdl.so.1 were changed during the patch installation. So if I don't want to back out all the patches, whether I can copy and replace these two files from another clean machine?

thanks a lot for your guys help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back