Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

who's the best

Status
Not open for further replies.

nforeman

IS-IT--Management
Sep 24, 2003
US
I was just looking to see from other associates in the cabling field, who you thought was the best manufacturer out there to use? Which one do you enjoy the most/least? Which one do you use most often, and is it because you're certified?

Thanks

I think it is like Fords vs. Chevy. People use different products that they have had good luck with, the best pricing, and good vendors. There are good and bad people to work with at every company. For every drop we make I use at least 3 different brands of products to get the final results. I also believe that your particular situation has something to do with who you use. I use Amp 5E patch panels, Pass & Seymour Jacks and faceplates, and General Cable. With this combination I have little to no trouble with installations, and my faceplates are adaptable to whatever my needs are. Every cable manufacture has specifications to make their cable to. The same applies to jacks and patch panels. They have to meet or exceed what they are rated for. In my particular case, we had bids that are sent out on some things, and whoever comes in low bid is my new vendor.

I feel this is almost a 66 block vs. 110 again. (Sorry guy’s had too.)

Hope this helps.

Mikey

I realize that each manufacturer has their own sets of specs. I have personally designed, installed, and i am certified to install numerous manufacturers. I was just curious to find out what others in the industry feel is the best. Why have you chosen to mix and match your products for example?

For me General Cable comes in at about the best price. The Amp patch panels are a very good panel and again very affordable. I didn’t like the Pass& Seymour patch panels and they were very pricey. The Pass & Seymour jacks come in about any configuration you could hope for. I use the same jacks in modular furniture as I do a regular installation. They make furniture basils for the 2 main manufactures of modular furniture. I have used Amp jacks and didn’t like them. Again it goes back to what you have used and have faith in.

Mikey

I use what is already in place for jobs I am adding to and Panduit for the jobs I start. Panduit was my choice because it was speced for a job and I have been able to get it at a discount through a certain supplier.

Thanks Mikey for the info. If you wouldn't mind a suggestion, if you're looking for price with exceptional quality, check out Nordx/cdt. As I said earlier, I've installed many brands, but personally I prefer Nordx for numerous reasons.

If you use ICC components with one of their approved cable vendors and get ICC certified, ICC will give a 15 year guarantee on the install.

From personally installing thousands of Data cable runs & utilizing pretty much most manufacturers of cable & terminating materials (even mix & match CAT 5/5e, STP,eternet,Type 1,Twinax w/ baluns, polished & mechanical fiber ends).

***From past experience try to keep your network cabling close to standards & just never recycle patch panels or jacks.***
On four separate occasions with different customers-they had me use patch panels they pulled out from somewhere else. Nothing but intermittent problems. I had them supply me new parts & evrything has been fine.

If you are involved in a new entity or office space with the cabling left intact, spend the money & have it re-tested & then go with it***

Now there are the ISO manufacturing certifications for quality & specs so the quality should be there. I have had to replace a few of the older manufacturers'jacks that have PCBs on them. On some jobs years ago we would have to switch out jacks to Cert them.

The biggest factor is the quality of the installers & the service technicians workmanship.

As the materials go I have used a very basic manufacturer AllenTel as a house brand for over 10 years. I have never replaced a single cable, jack or patch panel due to degrading service (Even in retail & campus applications where the distances have failed the initial tests- but the customer was not willing to spend the money on fiber.They know which cable locations they are & monitor any performance issues- most of their problems have been due to NICs or power surges at the device end when they didn't have an UPS on it. I still service these same accounts & would definitly hear of any problems.

Too many times I have gone into sites with problems that should of never happened. Due to other contractors poor workmanship. Not following what has been basic standards & codes or, performed inhouse by IT or maintenance personnel. It makes you sick, because everyone wants to be everything to bosses/customers anymore.

Steve
tele-dataservices.com

PANDUIT PRODUCTS! Built Ford tough.And I dont work for Panduit.I have installed Panduit(Jacks,Panels,etc.) for several years with no problems.Great product.Well made.

Just a quick comment on the intermittent problems with products that use PCB's....
NEVER use the high impact setting on anything that has a PCB.

That's my $0.02 worth.

Richard S. Anderson, RCDD

I prefer Avaya end-to-end, panduit wire management. Avaya is expensive and tough to win bids with.

But more importantly, quality of installation...

Hi,

We have been Siemon certified for the last 6 years and have always been very happy with them. The product is first class and tech support is second to none.

However as Sphoneman said:

"The biggest factor is the quality of the installers & the service technicians workmanship.

End-to-end = Avaya and Nordx
Piecemeal = Panduit, Siemons, AMP, P&S, Allentel, General, Mohawk, Berk-Tek, Belden

I had a significant problem with early ICC equipment (~ 1998)and have not tried them since. I still have a CAT5 jack (one of 800) that wouldn't pass a Level 2 test. I am assuming ICC now has their act together per fonedude.

Also agree with low impact setting on punch tool.

You couldn't pay me to use ICC or BlackBox.
Will only use Leviton or Ortronics in a pinch or when required by the job.
Contemplating Nordx and Hubbel. Siemons is alright, but some pieces have precived quality issues.
I like Avaya, but as previously stated, can be expensive.
Panduit is always my first choice. Most flexible solutions IMHO.

Cable:
1. Berktek
2. Nordx
3. Avaya
4. Belden (DataTwist 600e only)
5. Tried Mohawk once. Performance was good, but the jacket burned easily when cable was overpulled.

Justin T. Clausen
Physical Layer Implementation
California State University, Monterey Bay

I use Leviton for jacks, and General or CommScope cable. Panduit has excellent wire management stuff, but I don't really like their jacks.

jeff moss

I think the reason techs and vendors alike do not use Panduit jacks, or loadable Panduit panels is the steps needed to terminate the jack.I hear alot of grievence on the jacks in particular based on their design.I'll except the extra few seconds of termination time on the job for the durability and quality of a Panuit product such as the mini-coms.However,I do not like to terminate the Avaya Cat6 jacks with the separater thing built in the jack, and weird terminating cap.Yep...Ford vs.Chevy...I like Ford.

I really like Radio Shack... hehehe.... lol.... hahahaha... I kill myself.... It's late in the day sorry...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back