Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Whole Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conutmonky

Technical User
Oct 25, 2004
AU
Alright, here's the whole story. Thanks to everyone who has been helping me along the way, but i need to get out the whole story and see if i can get some input, because this is driving me crazy.
Just built a new computer a lil while back, was freezing all the time and rebooting and i couldn't figure out why, so i took off the case and found out that the heatsink on the motherboard chip only had one plastic holder in place so it wasn't on. Go figure. So i got a clip, put it in and it ran great for a while. Until now.
I was using my computer for a bit, turned it off, and when i turned it back on instead of going to the windows loading screen it would reboot...over and over and over. So i thought maybe graphics card or software, tested a different card and same thing happened, so i reinstalled windows. It reinstalled fine, used it for a day or so and then it started freezing randomly. After a day of this crap, i turend it off. The next day when i turned it on, it said it was missing a DLL file had to reinstall. So i AGAIN reinstalled windows, and after the copying to the hard drive thing happened and it rebooted, it came up with the blue screen saying it couldn't find ntdll.dll and so couldn't start
So i was pissed, got out my hard-drive cd-rom, reformatted everything completly, reinstalled windows AGAIN!!! and it finally started and everything was going ok. Next i installed motherboard drivers and virus scan, and tried to install world of warcraft, and it froze while doing that.

After all that, i can't imagine it is still a software issue, although i'm really open to ideas right now. If not software, what else could it be? Bad hard-drive? Maybe key files got corrupted? I could really use some help. Thanks for even reading this far.

Windows XP SP2, AMD athlon 2800+, Asus K8N, maxtor SATA hard drive, ATI radeon 9800pro, (2) 512MB cosair memory.

Thanks!!!!!

Memory? Try one stick at a time. Download and run "memtest86".

I would check the memory, could be a bad stick. If it isnt a newer mb, make sure to get all windows and driver updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back