Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WhoisJava v's C++

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMillionDollarMan

Programmer
Jun 10, 2002
US

Any thoughts?

The production environment is Unix using an oracle db. I am from a Windows to oracle world and I am looking for reasons as to why C++ would be faster than Java. There is not a lot of computations just a lot of transactions passing through.

Note its a web application and it all sits on the same machine ie webserver, db, corba ...

At this moment C++ is comparable in many cases regarding the speed with Java, VB, C#, J# etc... but there are some types of applications where C++ is faster visibly.
When you compare C++ with Java , the first the big difference is which kind of code is executed by the machine. Java have to translate using Java Virtual Machine before in order to execute. And more.
-obislavu-

...which kind of code is executed by the machine...
Thanks for response.

ok.
This is a web to database application. Obviously there is some data manipulation, picking/putting messages to an Message Que, mapping, corba calls.

The key is to make this application ...."FAST"....and I'm looking for the fastest mix of technology.

I guess I'll just have to experiment and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back